10 July 1965|
|Title||President of CONMEBOL (acting)|
|Predecessor||Juan Ángel Napout|
Wilmar Valdez (born 10 July 1965) is a Uruguayan football executive who served as interim President of CONMEBOL between 11 December 2015 and 26 January 2016. He took up the position after the resignation of Juan Ángel Napout which was related to the 2015 FIFA corruption case. Since 2014, he has served as President of the Uruguayan Football Association. He is also a member of the FIFA Council.
Valdez was born in Tala on 10 July 1965. During his time as a student in Montevideo he became a fan of the football club Rentistas. At age 21 Valdez started working for the club. His relationship with the club was further strengthened when his brother started playing there. Valdez also worked as a sports journalist for a while. At Rentistas he served in different functions, including terms as Secretary General and President for four years.
Valdez was elected third Vice President of CONMEBOL on 4 March 2015. On 11 December 2015, after the resignation of CONMEBOL president Juan Ángel Napout related to the 2015 FIFA corruption case, Valdez became interim President. First Vice President Rafael Esquivel had already been arrested in May and second Vice President Sergio Jadue had entered into a guilty plea with United States prosecutors the day before Valdez his appointment. Valdez's term as interim President ended on 26 January 2016, when a CONMEBOL congress was convened to elect new officials. His successor was Alejandro Domínguez.
- Atilio Garrido (21 June 2014). "Exclusivo: "Tabárez tiene que seguir en la selección" dijo el Presidente de la AUF" (in Spanish). Tenfield. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Jorge Señorans (3 April 2014). "Valdez, el relator que se convirtió en presidente de la AUF" (in Spanish). Referi. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Silvia Pérez (3 April 2014). "Valdez es el presidente de la AUF" (in Spanish). Ovación. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Wilmar Valdez asume como presidente de la Conmebol" (in Spanish). La Tercera. 10 December 2015. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Wilmar Valdez fue elegido por la Conmebol como tercer vicepresidente, pese a la negativa de Eugenio Figueredo" (in Spanish). LaRed21. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Juan Angel Napout resigns as CONMEBOL president". ESPN. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Conmebol se declara en situación "urgente y complicada"" (in Spanish). La Tercera. 4 December 2015. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Alejandro Dominguez is the new President of CONMEBOL". CONMEBOL. 26 January 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
Juan Ángel Napout
|President of CONMEBOL
| Succeeded by|