William States Lee III Nuclear Generating Station
|William States Lee III Nuclear Generating Station|
Location of William States Lee III Nuclear Generating Station in South Carolina
|Location||Cherokee County, near Gaffney, South Carolina|
|Coordinates||35°2′0″N 81°30′40″W / 35.03333°N 81.51111°WCoordinates: 35°2′0″N 81°30′40″W / 35.03333°N 81.51111°W|
|Construction cost||$11 billion (estimate)|
|Nuclear power station|
|Units planned||2 x 1117 MW|
The William States Lee III Nuclear Station is a planned two-unit nuclear power plant. Duke Energy filed the Combined Construction and Operating License (COL) application for the plant on December 13, 2007 to the NRC. As of October 2016, the license had not been issued.
The plant is named for William States Lee III (1929–1996), former chief executive officer (CEO) of Duke Energy (1982–94). This site will be adjacent to the Cherokee Nuclear Power Plant site which was never completed and abandoned in the early 1980s, and used by James Cameron as a film set for the 1989 movie The Abyss.
Costs and economics
In December 2007, Duke Power announced that it would spend $160 million in 2008 on the plant and that total costs could range 5–6 billion dollars. In November 2008, Duke estimated the overnight cost of the plant at $14 billion.
Licensing and construction
The William States Lee III Nuclear Generating Station will consist of two reactors.
|Reactor unit||Reactor type||Capacity||Construction started||Electricity grid connection||Commercial operation||Shutdown|
|William States Lee III -1 (planned)||AP1000||1117 MW||MW|
|William States Lee III -2 (planned)||AP1000||1117 MW||MW|
- NRC: William States Lee III Nuclear Station, Units 1 and 2 Application Retrieved October 21, 2016
- Reuters. UPDATE 1-Duke Energy files to build new nuclear power plant. December 13, 2007.
- "Duke raises cost estimate for Lee plant". World Nuclear News. 7 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Duke receives final SER for William States Lee nuclear plant August 8, 2016
- Power Reactor Information System of the IAEA: „United States of America: Nuclear Power Reactors- Alphabetic“
- Power Reactor Information System of the IAEA: „Nuclear Power Reactor Details - WILLIAM STATES LEE III -1“
- Power Reactor Information System of the IAEA: „Nuclear Power Reactor Details - WILLIAM STATES LEE III -2“