Whitland railway station
|Welsh: Hendy-gwyn ar Daf|
The station as seen from platform one
|Coordinates||51°49′05″N 4°36′50″W / 51.818°N 4.614°WCoordinates: 51°49′05″N 4°36′50″W / 51.818°N 4.614°W|
|Managed by||Arriva Trains Wales|
|Number of platforms||3|
Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||South Wales Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|2 January 1854||SWR station opened|
|4 September 1866||P&T station opened|
|August 1869||P&T station closed|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Whitland from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Whitland railway station serves the town of Whitland in Carmarthenshire, Wales. It is located on the main route of the West Wales Line from Swansea. To the west of the station, a branch line diverges to Pembroke with the main line continuing to Milford Haven and Fishguard. Formerly, the Whitland and Cardigan Railway (closed in 1962) diverged from the Fishguard/Milford Haven line two miles west of Whitland.
Passenger services are operated by Arriva Trains Wales, using a mixture of Diesel Multiple Unit classes (predominantly Class 175, Class 150 and Class 153) and Great Western Railway who run services using Inter City 125 trains on summer Saturdays from London to Pembroke Dock.
The station was opened by the South Wales Railway on 2 January 1854 on their route from Cardiff to Haverfordwest, which was extended to Neyland two years later. A branch line to Milford Haven followed in 1863, whilst the Pembroke & Tenby Railway (P&T) arrived from the southwest in 1866 - their route was however built as standard gauge rather than the SWR's broad gauge and so initially the P&T had to terminate at its own station next to the main line one, which by now was owned by the Great Western Railway. The separate P&T station was opened on 4 September 1866, and closed in August 1869. A single line was converted to dual gauge in 1868 to allow P&T trains to reach Carmarthen, but it wasn't until 1872 that full through running between the two routes was possible with the conversion of the main line to standard gauge. The network in the area was completed when the Cardigan branch was opened in stages between 1873 & 1886.
From 1957 the station was rebuilt. On the up side it had a ticket hall, waiting room with refreshments, ladies waiting room, toilets, stationmaster's office, district inspector's office, parcels office, central heating, and a 320 ft (98 m) steel and aluminium platform canopy. On the down side it had a 270 ft (82 m) canopy, refreshment room and toilets.
The station has an approximately hourly service (including Sundays) to and from Carmarthen and Swansea eastbound and every two hours westbound to each of Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock. Certain eastbound services continue onwards to Cardiff Central, Hereford and Manchester Piccadilly.
The services between Fishguard Harbour and Carmarthen (and stations further afield) also call (4 trains per day Mon-Sat, with 1 on Sundays, plus a 7-days-a-week night time service). Summer Saturday HST services between London Paddington and Pembroke Dock also serve Whitland.
Rail & sea corridor to Ireland
Arriva Trains Wales boat trains to and from Fishguard Harbour serve the station. These connect with the Stena Line ferry to Rosslare Europort in Ireland with a daily morning and evening service in both directions. This route has been in existence since 1906.
Despite being a once-major junction, the facilities at Whitland station are very poor. There are no toilets, nor a waiting room for passengers awaiting a service along the other line to use to take shelter from the wind. The main building, located on the eastbound platform, once contained a waiting room and ticket office, but is now boarded up. Most of this platform is covered by a canopy, and west of the building rusting rails remain in one of the former bay platforms. Across the footbridge, scant waiting shelters are provided on the westbound platform. There is in fact a servicable bay platform behind this, accessed from the Pembroke Dock branch, but this is seldom used for passenger trains as services from the branch do not normally terminate at Whitland.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 249. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Railway Magazine December 1957 p. 883
- GB eNRT 2015-6 Edition, Table 128
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Carmarthen|| Arriva Trains Wales
West Wales Line - Pembroke branch
| Arriva Trains Wales
West Wales Line - Milford Haven and Fishguard branches
|Carmarthen|| Great Western Railway
London - Pembroke
| St Clears
Line open, station closed
| Great Western Railway
South Wales Railway
Line and station open
|Terminus|| Great Western Railway
Whitland and Cardigan Railway
Line and station closed