Where in the U.S.A. Is Carmen Sandiego? (1986)
|Where in the U.S.A. Is |
Where in the U.S.A. Is Carmen Sandiego? was a Carmen Sandiego game released by Brøderbund in 1986. The game, which focuses on United States geography, was produced as a sequel to Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?, due to the success of the previous game. An "Enhanced" version of the game was released in 1990, and the "Deluxe" expansion pack version was released in 1992, on hybrid Windows/Macintosh in 1994, and on Macintosh in 1996. The game came with, and used facts from, Fodor's Travel Guide to the USA.
The goal of the game is to track Carmen's henchmen across the U.S.A., arrest them, and ultimately arrest Carmen Sandiego. The player will be given information on the suspect which is used to obtain a warrant on them so as to narrow down the suspect to one of the V.I.L.E. members in the database.
Computer Gaming World in 1987 complimented the game as a valuable tool for teaching geography, using reference books, map reading, and deductive reasoning. Compute! Gazette called it "so intriguing that players will be drawn to it again and again, learning a little more about logic, common sense, and U.S. geography each time." The New York Times' Thomas L. Friedman described the game as "a wonderful geography-teaching tool".
- Baker, Christopher Michael. "Where in the U.S.A. Is Carmen Sandiego?". allgame. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Proctor, Bob (June–July 1987). "Educational Games From Broderbund". Computer Gaming World. p. 26.
- Randall, Neil (September 1987). "Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego". Compute! Gazette. p. 41. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Friedman, Thomas L. (April 16, 1995). "WASH Foreign Affairs; Where Do Cars Come From?". The New York Times. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Where in the U.S.A. Is Carmen Sandiego? at MobyGames
- Images of Where in the U.S.A. is Carmen San Diego? box, manual and screen shots (1985 version) at C64Sets.com