West Athens, California
Location of West Athens in Los Angeles County, California.
Location in the United States
|Coordinates: 33°55′21″N 118°18′4″W / 33.92250°N 118.30111°WCoordinates: 33°55′21″N 118°18′4″W / 33.92250°N 118.30111°W|
|• Total||1.336 sq mi (3.461 km2)|
|• Land||1.336 sq mi (3.461 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||190 ft (58 m)|
|• Density||6,500/sq mi (2,500/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|ZIP code||90044, 90047|
|GNIS feature ID||1867067|
West Athens is a census-designated place (CDP) in Los Angeles County, California, United States. The population was 8,729 at the 2010 census, down from 9,101 at the 2000 census. It is an Unincorporated community within the 2nd Supervisorial District of Los Angeles County. West Athens is served by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, operating out of the South Los Angeles Station. The approximate boundaries for West Athens are: 87th Street to the North, Vermont Avenue to the East, El Segundo Boulevard to the South, and approximately Western Avenue to Van Ness Avenue to the West. West Athens is predominantly residential, with commercial uses along its main corridors. Los Angeles Southwest Community College lies within West Athens.
West Athens is located at 33°55′21″N 118°18′4″W / 33.92250°N 118.30111°W (33.922414, -118.301156).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), all land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that West Athens had a population of 8,729. The population density was 6,531.5 people per square mile (2,521.8/km²). The racial makeup of West Athens was 1,584 (18.1%) White (1.3% Non-Hispanic White), 4,578 (52.4%) African American, 31 (0.4%) Native American, 111 (1.3%) Asian, 10 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 2,127 (24.4%) from other races, and 288 (3.3%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3,843 persons (44.0%).
The Census reported that 8,674 people (99.4% of the population) lived in households, 50 (0.6%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 5 (0.1%) were institutionalized.
There were 2,525 households, out of which 1,261 (49.9%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 1,028 (40.7%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 774 (30.7%) had a female householder with no husband present, 227 (9.0%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 175 (6.9%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 10 (0.4%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 378 households (15.0%) were made up of individuals and 138 (5.5%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.44. There were 2,029 families (80.4% of all households); the average family size was 3.77.
The population was spread out with 2,539 people (29.1%) under the age of 18, 1,025 people (11.7%) aged 18 to 24, 2,275 people (26.1%) aged 25 to 44, 1,994 people (22.8%) aged 45 to 64, and 896 people (10.3%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32.1 years. For every 100 females there were 91.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.7 males.
There were 2,691 housing units at an average density of 2,013.5 per square mile (777.4/km²), of which 1,328 (52.6%) were owner-occupied, and 1,197 (47.4%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.8%; the rental vacancy rate was 8.4%. 4,427 people (50.7% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 4,247 people (48.7%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,101 people, 2,573 households, and 2,102 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,784.4 inhabitants per square mile (2,622.3/km²). There were 2,673 housing units at an average density of 1,992.6 per square mile (770.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 12.9% White, 65.1% African American, 0.6% Native American, 1.6% Asian, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 25.1% from other races, and 3.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 25.3% of the population.
There were 2,573 households out of which 45.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.4% were married couples living together, 28.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.3% were non-families. 14.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.54 and the average family size was 3.83.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 35.1% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 19.0% from 45 to 64, and 7.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $35,423, and the median income for a family was $39,028. Males had a median income of $27,484 versus $31,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,903. About 24.0% of families and 25.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.9% of those under age 18 and 18.6% of those age 65 or over.
West Athens is served by the Los Angeles Unified School District.
- West Athens Elementary School
- Clay Middle School
- Washington Preparatory High School
- Los Angeles Southwest College
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (LASD) operates the South Los Angeles Station serving West Athens. In addition the agency operates the Audrey & Sydney Irmas Youth Activity Center in West Athens.
- Morningside Park Chronicle is an unincorporated community newspaper based in Morningside Park that also covers the West Athens area.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files – Places – California". United States Census Bureau.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL1.ST13&prodType=table US Census Bureau
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - West Athens CDP". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0684116.html. Missing or empty
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Lenox Station." Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Retrieved on January 21, 2010.
- "Lenox CDP." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 21, 2010.
- "Youth Activity Center." Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Retrieved on January 21, 2010.
- "West Athens CDP, California." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 21, 2010.
- "Statewide Database". UC Regents. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "California's 43rd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.