The bridge was designed and built by John Tilley and John Carline (whose father was a mason on the English Bridge), who had built Montford Bridge for Thomas Telford. Four of the arches span 43 feet 4 inches, while the fifth and central arch is 46 feet 2 inches. The bridge is 30 feet wide, and built from Grinshill sandstone. In total it is 266 feet long. It was completed in 1795 at a cost of £8,000.
On the Mardol side of the bridge, on the junction with Victoria Avenue, one of the parapets of the bridge has the words "Commit No Nuisance" chiselled into the stone. This is an archaic injunction not to urinate in public.
- "Name: WELSH BRIDGE AT SJ 488 127 List entry Number: 1246191". Historic England. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Blackwall, Anthony, Historic Bridges of Shropshire, Shropshire Libraries, 1985, ISBN 0-903802-31-7
- Cragg, R., Civil Engineering Heritage - Wales & West Central England, Thomas Telford Publishing, 2nd edn., 1997, ISBN 0-7277-2576-9
- Listed status at Borough Council and at English Heritage