Wayside horn

A wayside horn is used by railroads where automobile traffic crosses the tracks. They can be used in place of, or in addition to, the locomotive's horn. They are often used in special railroad "quiet zones" where the locomotive's engineer is not required to sound the locomotive's horn at a crossing. This reduces the ambient noise at the crossing, which may be desirable in residential areas.

See also


    External links

    This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 12/2/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.