1991 (as Jake's Wayback Burgers)|
Newark, Delaware, U.S.
|Headquarters||Cheshire, Connecticut, U.S.|
Wayback Burgers, previously known as Jake's Wayback Burgers, is an American fast casual restaurant chain based in Cheshire, Connecticut. Wayback serves typical hamburger restaurant foods such as hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, milkshakes and salads along with a variety of regional selections. Originally created in Newark, Delaware, Wayback began expansion in the late 2000s; in 2013, it was announced that the chain was expanding internationally to an additional 28 countries, with locations in the Middle East and North Africa slated to open in early 2014. The second international agreement signed is with Argentina.
The first Wayback Burgers location was opened in 1991 in Delaware, under the name Jake's Hamburgers. Several more locations were opened, leading to the beginning of franchising in the late 2000s where the name was changed to Jake's Wayback Burgers. To date, the chain has expanded to 95 locations, with an additional 75 currently in development. They are spread throughout the United States, ranging from New England, New York, Florida, Texas, Ohio, and California. Wayback is similar to other 'better burger' brands such as Five Guys, Shake Shack, and Fuddruckers.
During the summer of 2014 the chain announced the drop of "Jake's" from the title in order to deter confusion with a smaller competitor based in the southern United States. Many locations will keep existing signage with the name "Jake's" on store fronts, but all new franchises will be known as "Wayback Burgers".
- "Burger chain coming to Medford". MailTribune.com. 2012-01-09. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- Frumpkin, Paul. "Jake's Wayback Burgers to expand into 28 countries.".
- "Jake's Wayback Burgers cooks up more sites". Philadelphia Business Journal. 2011-05-11. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- Mallia, Joseph (2011-05-16). "Three new Jake's Wayback Burgers coming to LI". Newsday. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Happy Hour Q&A with Jake's Wayback Burgers' Brian Hall - News". Dover Post. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2013-07-22.