Saupold with the Detroit Tigers
|Detroit Tigers – No. 53|
Born: 16 January 1990|
Perth, Western Australia
|May 14, 2016, for the Detroit Tigers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||7.45|
Warwick Anthony Saupold (born 16 January 1990) is an Australian professional baseball pitcher for the Detroit Tigers of Major League Baseball (MLB). Saupold previously played two seasons with the Perth Heat of the Australian Baseball League (ABL), and represented Australia in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
Saupold joined the Perth Heat of the Australian Baseball League (ABL) in 2010. In the 2011–12 ABL season, Saupold led the league in innings pitched (70) and posted a 1.41 earned run average, setting an ABL record. Saupold also struck out 53 batters, allowing 43 hits, 22 base on balls, and two home runs. Saupold was invited to the 2011 Australian Baseball League All-Star Game.
In 2012, Saupold signed a minor league contract with the Detroit Tigers. Pitching for the Lakeland Flying Tigers in the Class-A Advanced Florida State League (FSL), Saupold won the deciding game in the FSL championship series. Saupold played for the Australian national baseball team in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. The Tigers promoted Saupold to the Double-A Erie SeaWolves of the Eastern League in 2013. Saupold pitched for Erie in 2014 and 2015, receiving a promotion to the Toledo Mud Hens of the Triple-A International League during the 2015 season. In 2015, Saupold set the Erie SeaWolves franchise strikeout record with 275 career strikeouts.
Saupold was called up by the Detroit Tigers on 13 May 2016. Prior to being promoted, Saupold was 3–1 with a 2.37 ERA and 14 strikeouts in 30 1⁄3 innings for the Toledo Mud Hens this season. He made his Major League debut for the Tigers the next day in a game against the Baltimore Orioles. On 15 May, Saupold pitched 2 2⁄3 innings of scoreless relief against the Orioles and earned his first Major League win. On 1 June 2016 Saupold was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right groin strain.
- "John Dudley: Aussie native Saupold thrives with SeaWolves". GoErie.com - Erie, PA. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Warwick Saupold signs with Detroit Tigers". Australian Baseball League News. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Brisbane Bandits well represented in ABL All-star game". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Bases loaded with Heat for All-Stars". The West Australian. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Talking Championships with Warwick Saupold - Perth Heat News". Perth Heat. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Saupold sets strikeout record as SeaWolves pound Sea Dogs". GoErie.com - Erie, PA. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Jahnke, James (13 May 2016). "Detroit Tigers call up Australian pitcher, send down Daniel Norris". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Ginsburg, David (15 May 2016). "Tigers end slide with 6-5 comeback win over Orioles". CBSsports.com. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Beck, Jason (1 June 2016). "Tigers place Saupold on DL, recall Parnell". mlb.com. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Fenech, Anthony; Sipple, George (30 August 2016). "Tigers' minor-leaguer Warwick Saupold charged with assault in Toledo". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Warwick Saupold on Twitter