Warley shown within Essex
|Population||5,973 (Ward 2011)|
|OS grid reference||TQ592923|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||CM13, CM14|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
|UK Parliament||Brentwood and Ongar|
It is also home to a new development of houses situated on the former site of Warley Hospital (a psychiatric hospital), called Clements Park. The development includes a range of house styles modelled around local themes, such as the former water tower that supplied the local area. It also includes the former hospital chapel that has now been converted to flats.
There was also another prominent psychiatric hospital in Warley for over 150 years, known as Mascalls Park Mental Hospital, although its operations were moved to the site of Goodmayes Hospital in early 2011.
There is a Borough of Brentwood council ward by the name Warley, which takes in Great Warley, Little Warley, Childerditch and the Woodman Road/Hartswood area of Brentwood. Traditionally it has been a Liberal Democrat-Conservative marginal, which in 2007 elected the youngest councillor in Britain, at eighteen years of age.
The military has associations with Warley going back over 200 years. It also had strategic importance during the time of the Spanish Armada – it was used as a meeting place for contingents from eight eastern and midland counties (900 horsemen assembled here) to then travel on to Tilbury. The local common was used as a military camp in 1742, and became a permanent feature as Warley Barracks in 1804.
The Essex Regiment Chapel is located in Eagle Way.(51°35′57″N 0°17′52″E / 51.5991°N 0.2977°E) The chapel was built in 1857 and is a Grade II listed building. It was originally built for the East India Company, but with the establishment of the Essex Regiment Depot at Warley, the chapel became the regiment's "home" church. The chapel's interior contains displays of regimental history, memorials, heraldry and regimental colours. The chapel is open by appointment, and on regimental heritage days.
The site of the old regimental depot and barracks is now the headquarters of the Ford Motor Company. Most of the barracks have been demolished and only the chapel, the officers' mess (now Marillac Nursing Home) and one of the regimental gyms (Keys Hall) remain.
- "Brentwood Ward population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "The final curtain for 153-year-old mental health hospital serving Havering" Lucy Dickinson, Romford Recorder 29 December 2010
- "Reserve Forces London: About us".
- "Chapel". Royal Anglian Association. Retrieved 26 May 2014.