|Città di Vimercate|
The business district
Location of Vimercate in Italy
|Coordinates: 45°37′N 9°22′E / 45.617°N 9.367°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Monza and Brianza (MB)|
|Frazioni||Ruginello, Oldaniga, Oreno, Velasca|
|• Mayor||Francesco Sartini|
|• Total||20.67 km2 (7.98 sq mi)|
|Elevation||194 m (636 ft)|
|Population (30 April 2009)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Saint Stephen|
|Saint day||3 August|
The city was founded by the Romans on the banks of the river Molgora.
Saint Francis's Convent (Banfi Family)
A hostel at the site was founded in 1052, just outside the walls of medieval Vimercate, offering refuge and assistance to travellers and pilgrims. In the first half of the 13th century Franciscan friars from the nearby monastery in Oreno, traditionally believed to have been visited by St Francis himself, and founded the new Franciscan monastery under the "Custody of Monza". During the 13th century it increased in importance and was occupied by Lectors and Maestri.
In one of the frescoes in the convent is an ornament (circa 1311) showing the coats of arms of the Visconti and Della Torre families. The date is the time when a truce between the two families was signed on Epiphany of that year. The truce between the two Milanese families was guaranteed by Henry VII, Holy Roman Emperor. In 1456 Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan, provided a special grant with an annual offering of fifty florins, founding the Cappellania di San Francesco (Chapter of the Chapel of Saint Francis) in the church.
In 1798 the monastery, suppressed by the Cisalpine Republic, was sold in 1799 by the Feudal Mayor of Vimercate, Dr Giuseppe Banfi. He conceded the use of the monastery to the six remaining friars, supporting them for life. Afterwards he transformed the monastery into a residence. Since then the Banfi family has owned the site.
In different areas of the monastery there are some fragments of frescos, which, even if quite small, make it possible to distinguish two subsequent attempts at decorating the church during the first half of the fourteenth century, evidence of the prestige of the monastery in that period.
- Saint Stephen's Basilica
- Church of Virgin Mary
- Ponte di San Rocco (3rd century), the oldest still-functioning Roman bridge in northern Italy. In the Middle Ages it received two gates
- Palazzo Trotti. It has 18th-century paintings from Giuseppe Antonio Felice Orelli
- Villa Sottocasa (early 18th century)
The area of Oreno has maintained its medieval look with an 11th-century monastery, Saint Michael's Church and the stately homes Villa Gallarati-Scotti and Villa Borromeo.
The town has more new developments such as the Torri Bianche skyscrapers which host a 16 screen cinema, a shopping arcade and many county offices plus the new Central Bus Station designed by Mario Botta in 1998, which serves the area and has many facilities.
On the east side of the city rises the "Centro Scolastico Omnicomprensivo", a scholastic centre, which is known for the quality and high standards of the "Licei" (High Schools). Particularly renowned is the Scientific and Classic Liceo "Antonio Banfi". Within the communal borders there are many parks, used for concerts and shows.
Vimercate received the honorary title of city with a presidential decree on June 28, 1950.
- Emis Killa (1989), rapper
- Matteo Morandi (1981), gymnast, 2012 Olympic bronze medalist on still rings
- Data from Istat
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vimercate.|