University of Wisconsin–Marinette

University of Wisconsin–Marinette
Type Public, State University
Established 1935
Location Marinette, Wisconsin, United States
Campus Suburban
36 acres (14.6 ha)
Colors Red and White         
Sports Basketball, Volleyball
Mascot Buccaneers

The University of Wisconsin–Marinette, part of the University of Wisconsin Colleges, is a two-year campus of the University of Wisconsin System located in Marinette, Wisconsin, USA.

UW–Marinette is one of 13 freshman-sophomore liberal arts transfer campuses of the UW Colleges and offers a general education associate degree. After beginning their studies at UW–Marinette, students transfer to other UW System institutions as well as to colleges and universities throughout the country to complete their bachelor's degrees. The college offers bachelor's degree programs from four 4-year colleges in Wisconsin which can be completed online.

The campus consists of 36 acres (15 ha) on the Bay of Green Bay of Lake Michigan.[1]

This campus first began in 1935 when the old Marinette High School and its 25 students had some class offers from the University of Wisconsin Extension. The need for education was dramatically increased as the end of World War II was approaching. With the teamwork of the City of Marinette and the UW Wisconsin Extension, they both managed to offer college freshman classes at Marinette Vocational School (Now called Lincoln School). In the years 1951-1963, Joe Gerend was the director of the UW Extension Marinette Center. Then, in 1963, Lon W. Weber became the next director.

In the year 1964, the University of Wisconsin Colleges had a new separate unit: The University Center System. For the Center's final year at the Vocational School, 89 freshman students became enrolled. During that same year, an agreement came upon both the University of Wisconsin and the Marinette County Board of Supervisors to build a campus on Marinette. The faculty would be provided by the University and the buildings would be provided by the County. On October 12 of that same year, the 36 acres of the pine woods became the place for the construction for the campus. In 1965, the doors of the new faculty opened to welcome students of the 1965−66 academic year where 232 enrolled. In 1966, a two phase building program was authorized by the Marinette County Board of Supervisors to expand the campus for a further enrollment capacity.

In the year 1968, James Olson became appointed as the Campus Dean of a few UW-Colleges including UW-Marinette as one of those campuses. During January of that year came the construction of the UW-Marinette Fine Arts Building. In Auguse of 1969, (About one year later) there was also the construction of the Library Learning Center and the Max E. Peterson Field House. In 1972 on July 1, the campus of Marinette was transferred from UW-Green Bay and became a new extended Center System.


This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 11/27/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.