United States House Select Investigative Panel on Planned Parenthood
The United States House Committee on Energy and Commerce Select Investigative Panel on Planned Parenthood is a select subcommittee of the United States House of Representatives. Following the 2015 release of undercover videos filmed by The Center for Medical Progress, an anti-abortion group, purporting to show Planned Parenthood engaging in the sale of tissue from aborted fetuses, John Boehner, the Speaker of the House, announced in September 2015 that he was considering forming a select committee to investigate Planned Parenthood. The committee falls under the jurisdiction of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. The House approved the committee on October 7, 2015, by a party-line vote of 242–189, with all but one member of the Republican Party supporting the committee and only two members of the Democratic Party voting in favor of its creation.
On October 23, Boehner announced that the committee would be led by Representative Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, and would also include Joe Pitts of Pennsylvania, Diane Black of Tennessee, Larry Bucshon of Indiana, Sean Duffy of Wisconsin, Andy Harris of Maryland, Vicky Hartzler of Missouri, and Mia Love of Utah. Democrats, who claim that the videos are edited to be purposefully misleading, considered boycotting the committee, citing the politicized nature of the United States House Select Committee on Benghazi. Instead, they chose to participate, naming Jan Schakowsky of Illinois as the Ranking Member, and also naming Jackie Speier of California, Jerrold Nadler of New York, Diana DeGette of Colorado, Suzan DelBene of Washington, and Bonnie Watson Coleman of New Jersey.
Members, 114th Congress
- French, Lauren (28 September 2015). "House Plans Special Committee to Probe Planned Parenthood". Politico. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "House Panel Advances Resolution to Create Special Committee to Probe Planned Parenthood". Fox News. 7 October 2015. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- Ben Jacobs. "House Republicans set up Planned Parenthood select committee inquiry". the Guardian. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- Paul Kane (October 23, 2015). "Boehner's next select committee, focusing on Planned Parenthood, to be led by Marsha Blackburn". Washington Post. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta (October 23, 2015). "House Dems Weigh Boycott Of Planned Parenthood Select Committee". The Huffington Post. Retrieved October 23, 2015.