Eifert in 2013
|No. 85 Cincinnati Bengals|
|Date of birth:||September 8, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Fort Wayne, Indiana|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school:||Fort Wayne (IN) Bishop Dwenger|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 1 / Pick: 21|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 13, 2016|
Tyler Gregory Eifert (born September 8, 1990) is an American football tight end for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of Notre Dame, received All-American honors, and was recognized as the top college tight end. Eifert was drafted by the Bengals in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
Eifert attended Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic School and Bishop Dwenger High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He played tight end and defensive back in football and power forward in basketball. As a senior, he had nine touchdowns on offense and 97 tackles and five interceptions on defense. Considered only a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, he chose Notre Dame over offers from Indiana, Minnesota, and Purdue.
Eifert enrolled in the University of Notre Dame, where he played for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team from 2009 to 2012. As a freshman in 2009, Eifert played in only one game after suffering a back injury. As a sophomore in 2010, he entered the season as a backup to Kyle Rudolph but took over as the starter after Rudolph suffered a season-ending injury. He finished the season with 27 receptions for 352 yards and two touchdowns in 11 games. In his junior season, he took over the starting position. As a starter, Eifert had 63 receptions for 803 yards and five touchdowns. He broke the school's tight end single-season receptions and receiving yards record, previously held by Ken MacAfee. He was named a 2011 Mackey Award finalist but did not win the award. As a senior, he had 50 receptions for 685 yards with 4 touchdowns. He also won the 2012 Mackey Award after being named a finalist the year before and was also named second- team All-American by the Associated Press.
After a 42–14 loss to the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2013 BCS National Championship Game, Eifert decided to forgo his final season of eligibility and declared his intentions to enter the 2013 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 3⁄4 in||250 lb||33 1⁄8 in||9 1⁄8 in||4.65 s||1.65 s||2.69 s||4.32 s||6.92 s||35 1⁄2 in||9 ft 11 in||22 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Eifert was selected in the first round with the 21st pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2013 NFL Draft. On July 15, 2013, Eifert signed a four-year, $8.25 million rookie contract with the Bengals. On September 8, 2013, Eifert made his NFL debut, recording 5 receptions for 47 yards against the Chicago Bears. On September 16, 2013, Eifert caught 3 passes for a career-high 66 yards against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Of those three passes, Eifert grabbed his longest catch of the season, a 61-yard reception. On October 20, 2013, Eifert caught his first career touchdown, a 32-yarder, against the Detroit Lions. On December 15, 2013, Eifert caught his second touchdown of his career against the Pittsburgh Steelers. On December 22, 2013, Eifert left the game early with a stinger injury. This injury sidelined Eifert for the season finale against the Baltimore Ravens.
On September 7, 2014, during his first game of the 2014 season against the Baltimore Ravens, Eifert suffered a dislocated elbow after landing awkwardly on his arm while trying to twist out of a leg tackle by safety Darian Stewart. He was placed on injured reserve on September 10, 2014, and ended up being out for the season.
On September 13, 2015, Eifert posted a career day with 9 receptions for 104 yards and 2 touchdowns against the Oakland Raiders. On September 20, 2015, Eifert scored his third touchdown of the season against the San Diego Chargers. On October 11, 2015, Eifert was also Andy Dalton's biggest target in a Week 5, 27-24 comeback victory against the 2-time defending NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks with 8 receptions for 90 yards and two touchdowns. On November 5, 2015, Eifert finished with 5 catches for 53 yards and 3 touchdowns in a 31-10 Bengals win over the Cleveland Browns, tying him with Rodney Holman (1989) and Bob Trumpy (1969) for the Bengals franchise record for single-season touchdowns by a tight end, with 9. On November 22, 2015, Eifert caught three passes for 22 yards and two touchdowns against the Arizona Cardinals. Eifert became the franchise leader for most single-season touchdowns by a tight end. On November 29, 2015, Eifert caught a touchdown in the Bengals' 31-7 win over the St. Louis Rams. Eifert left the game in the 3rd quarter with a stinger injury. The injury sidelined Eifert for 2 games until the season finale. On January 3, 2016, Eifert capped off the regular season with a touchdown in the Bengals' 24-16 win over the Baltimore Ravens. Eifert earned a bid to the 2016 Pro Bowl on Team Irvin but injured his ankle during the game.
On April 13, 2016, the Bengals announced that they would pick up the fifth-year option of Eifert's contract. The injury Eifert suffered in the Pro Bowl kept Eifert sidelined until Week 8 of the 2016 season. On October 30, 2016, Eifert caught nine passes for 102 yards and a touchdown against the Washington Redskins, his second 100-plus yard game of his career.
- Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert likely out for season
- Kyle Rudolph out for season
- ESPN.com stats
- Post BCS loss, Tyler Eifert declares for the draft
- Farrar, Doug (2013-04-25). "Cincinnati Bengals select Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert with the 21st overall pick". Yahoo Sports Canada. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "Bengals' first-round pick Eifert signs deal". ESPN.com. 2013-07-15. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "Cincinnati Bengals WR A.J. Green hauls in 2nd TD catch of day (GIF)". FanSided. 2013-09-08. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Hobson, Geoff (2013-09-16). "Bengals pin Steelers". Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "Cincinnati Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert 61-yard catch". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "Bengals TE Tyler Eifert 32-yard touchdown catch". Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Hobson, Geoff (2013-12-15). "Steelers hit Bengals in mouth". Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Marcum, Jason (2013-12-22). "GIF of George Iloka INT; Tyler Eifert ruled out". Stripe Hype. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Sessler, Marc (2013-12-29). "Injury roundup: Megatron ruled out for Lions' finale". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- Cosenza, Anthony (2014-09-07). "Tyler Eifert Leaves Game With Elbow Injury". Cincy Jungle. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Alper, Josh (2016-09-10). "Tyler Eifert headed to injured reserve-return after elbow injury". NBC Sports. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Hanzus, Dan. "Tyler Eifert has breakout performance against Raiders". NFL.com. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- NFL (2015-09-20), Andy Dalton Fires a 9-Yard TD to Tyler Eifert | Chargers vs. Bengals | NFL, retrieved 2016-10-31
- Kirkendall, Josh (2015-10-11). "The amazing Tyler Eifert reception". Cincy Jungle. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (2015-11-05). "Eifert scores 3 TDs as perfect Bengals beat Browns". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Marcum, Jason (2015-11-23). "Bengals vs Cardinals: Biggest winners and losers". Cincy Jungle. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Wooden, Ryan (2015-11-29). "Tyler Eifert Doubtful To Return With Stinger - TPS". www.todayspigskin.com. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Toback, Rebecca (2015-11-29). "Hill, Burfict, Eifert among injured Bengals". Cincy Jungle. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Fitzgerald, Matt. "Updates on Tyler Eifert's Concussion and Return". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Pfahler, Laurel (2016-01-03). "Eifert's return buoys Cincinnati Bengals passing game". Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Toback, Rebecca (2016-01-31). "Tyler Eifert injures left foot in Pro Bowl". Cincy Jungle. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Wesseling, Chris (April 13, 2016). "Bengals exercise Tyler Eifert's fifth-year option". NFL.com. Retrieved May 1, 2016.
- Toback, Rebecca (2016-10-23). "Tyler Eifert expected to make his 2016 debut vs Browns". Cincy Jungle. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Terrell, Katherine (2016-10-30). "Bengals waste big games from A.J. Green, Tyler Eifert in tie". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tyler Eifert.|