Turku Centre for Computer Science
Turku Centre for Computer Science (abbr. TUCS, Finnish: Turun tietotekniikan tutkimus- ja koulutuskeskus, Swedish: Åbo datatekniska forsknings- och utbildningscentrum) is a joint department of University of Turku and Åbo Akademi University. TUCS was founded on March 21, 1994. The mission of TUCS is to coordinate the education, research and societal interaction of the affiliate Universities in the field of ICT. The TUCS office facilities are located in Turku in the Turku Science Park area.
Departments involved in TUCS
University of Turku
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- Department of Information Technology.
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Turku School of Economics
- The Institute of Information Systems Sciences
Åbo Akademi University
Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
Faculty of Social Sciences, Business and Economics
- Information Systems
TUCS boasts a long history of high-level achievements of its affiliated researchers, in terms of articles in high-level journals and conferences, high number of citations, invitations to speak in the most important conferences in the field, and memberships in editorial boards of many high-level international journals. TUCS has been a Center of Excellence of Research of the Academy of Finland in the very first round of such centers in Finland, 1995-1999. A unit of TUCS, the Centre for Reliable Software Technology (CREST), has also been a Center of Excellence during 2002-2007. Two Academy Professors, as well as three FIDIPRO professors have been / are affiliated with TUCS.
- Combinatorics, Complex Systems and Computability (Com3) - director Prof. Jarkko Kari
- From Computational Biology and Medical Informatics to Health and Wellbeing (BioHealth) - directors Prof. Tapio Salakoski and Prof. Ion Petre
- Resilient IT Infrastructures (RITES) - directors Prof. Ivan Porres and Dr. Juha Plosila
- Turku Information Systems Research Alliance (TISRA) - directors Prof. Emer. Christer Carlsson and Prof. Jukka Heikkilä
TUCS organises the TUCS Distinguished Lecture Series, a forum for public lectures delivered by outstanding national and international scientists and innovators in all aspects of computing. They come from diverse backgrounds from academia, as well as from industry. The purpose is to facilitate contacts between young scientists and top research groups as well as inform and inspire wider audiences about recent developments and future visions in ICT-related theory and practice. The lectures are recorded and published on YouTube channel.
TUCS coordinates the master- and doctoral-level education in computer science, computer engineering, mathematics, and information systems between the two universities in Turku, helping to provide the educational programs of both universities to all students. This is made possible by the joint campus of the two universities.
Cooperation with other universities and colleges
TUCS is an affiliate partner of EIT ICT Labs of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
TUCS is a member of the Finnish state wide INFORTE-programme for ICT professionals, which is designed to offer networking and education events to professionals working in Finnish companies, polytechnics and public administration.
- http://tucs.fi/about-us/personnel/, September 6, 2015.
- TUCS Research Programmes. http://tucs.fi/research/research-programmes/, September 16, 2015
- TUCS Research Units. http://tucs.fi/research/research-units/, September 16, 2015
- http://www.eitictlabs.eu/ EIT ICT Labs
- http://www.win.tue.nl/EEF/, EEF home page, April 23rd 2012
- http://inforte.fi/ INFORTE programme