Map of Luxembourg with Troisvierges highlighted in orange, and the canton in dark red
|Coordinates: 50°07′00″N 6°00′00″E / 50.1167°N 6°ECoordinates: 50°07′00″N 6°00′00″E / 50.1167°N 6°E|
|• Mayor||Édouard Mertens|
|• Total||37.86 km2 (14.62 sq mi)|
|Area rank||14 of 105|
|Highest elevation||560 m (1,840 ft)|
|• Rank||1st of 105|
|Lowest elevation||407 m (1,335 ft)|
|• Rank||105th of 105|
|• Rank||47th of 105|
|• Density||80/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||70th of 105|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Troisvierges (Luxembourgish: Ëlwen, German: Ulflingen) is a commune and town in northern Luxembourg, in the canton of Clervaux. The two highest hills in Luxembourg, the Kneiff (560 m) and Buurgplaatz (559 m), are located in the commune.
As of 2005, the town of Troisvierges, which lies in the south of the commune, has a population of 1,365. Other towns within the commune include Basbellain, Drinklange, Hautbellain, Huldange, and Wilwerdange.
The coat of arms granted to Troisvierges in 1982 shows three virgins, representing Faith, Hope and Charity; a mountain, for the Oesling region; a stylised papal cross from the oldest known document naming the place; and a railway and wheel, for the importance of the railway in the town's development.
The first known reference to the place was made in 1353 under its German name Ulflingen. The French name Troisvierges was adopted in the 17th century when Walloon pilgrims started using it to refer to the three virgins Saint Fides, Saint Spes and Saint Caritas. The Franciscan church of Troisvierges was built in 1658. By 1900 most of the local population were railway and customs employees. There were some 1550 inhabitants in 1910.
Troisvierges is known for being the site of the start of hostilities on the Western Front in the First World War. On 1 August 1914, German soldiers of the 69th Infantry Regiment disembarked at the town's railway station, violating the terms of Germany's use of the railways and hence violating Luxembourg's neutrality. This began a four-year occupation of Luxembourg by German forces.
- Troisvierges townhall
- St Andrew's church
- Interior of St Andrew's church
- Altar of the Three Virgins, St Andrew's church
- Media related to Troisvierges at Wikimedia Commons
||Gouvy (BE-WLX)||Burg-Reuland (BE-WLG)|