Nikkei 225 Component
|Founded||February 11, 1935|
|Headquarters||3-8-2, Shiba, Minato-Ku, Tokyo 105-8623, Japan|
|Kenichi Udagawa, (CEO and President)|
|Revenue||JPY) (FY 2012)|
|JPY) (FY 2012)|
Number of employees
|11,268 (consolidated) (as of March 31, 2012)|
Footnotes / references|
Tosoh Corporation (東ソー株式会社 Tōsō Kabushiki-gaisha) is a global chemical and specialty materials company. The company was founded in 1935 in Yamaguchi Prefecture, as Toyo Soda Manufacturing Co., Ltd., and in 1987 changed its name to Tosoh Corporation. Today, its corporate headquarters are in Tokyo, Japan.
It began as a manufacturer of chlor-alkali and petrochemical commodities and feedstocks. Today it produces other kinds of products including electrolytic managenese dioxide (EMD), specialty polymers, fine chemicals, scientific instrumentation, thin-film materials (sputtering targets (sputtering deposition) and silica glass (quartz)), fabricated silica glass and water treatment technologies.
The Tosoh Group globally comprises more than 130 companies, which include manufacturing facilities and sales/marketing offices in Japan, China, the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, the UK, Greece, Switzerland and the United States.
Tosoh's Nanyo complex is capable of making a total 1.2 million tonnes per year of vinyl chloride monomer, a material used in making plastic.
Business groups and products
Tosoh Corporation is divided into 13 business divisions that are organized in five groups: Petrochemical, Chlor-alkali, Speciality and Engineering. A fifth group, Other, primarily comprises logistics, construction, engineering support, and other services. Below are the five groups including some of the products they produce:
- Petrochemical Group
- Chlor-Alkali Group
- Specialty Group
- Organic Chemicals (organic intermediates, ethyleneamines, flame retardants, polyurethane catalysts, benzyl alcohol, hydrocarbon based solvents, piperazine, sodium styrene sulfonate, bromochloropropane(BCP))
- Advanced Materials (silica glass, sputtering deposition targets, zeolites, zirconia injection mold and grinding media, battery materials, silica, )
- Bioscience (automated immunoassay and glycohemoglobin analyzers, high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), molecular analyzers, chromatographic resins, size-exclusion chromatography instruments, laboratory automation solutions and services, reagents)
- The Specialty Group focuses on products for high-technology industries including semiconductors, consumer electronics, pharmaceuticals and health care.
- Engineering Group
- Other Services Group
- "Tosoh at a Glance". Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Annual Report 2013" (PDF). Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "History of Tosoh". Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Components:Nikkei Stock Average". Nikkei Inc. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- Kitanaka, Anna (6 July 2015). "Japan Stocks Fall, Yen Rises After Greece Votes No to Austerity". Bloomberg. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- Tsukimori, Osamu (13 November 2011). "UPDATE 1-Tosoh's monomer plant caught fire after explosion". Reuters. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Business Groups". Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Official website (English)