Tomboy 1.15.4 running under Ubuntu MATE
|Developer(s)||Alex Graveley and Tomboy Contributors|
1.15.5 / August 25, 2016
1.15.6 / August 25, 2016
Tomboy is a free and open-source desktop notetaking application written for Unix-like (including Mac OS X and Linux) and Microsoft Windows operating systems, written in C# using Gtk#. Tomboy is part of the GNOME desktop environment personal information management software and achieved widespread popularity as the default note taking app in early Ubuntu releases. As Ubuntu changed over time and its cloud sync software Ubuntu One came and went, Tomboy inspired various forks and clones. Its interface is a notepad with a wiki-like linking system to connect notes together. Words in the note body that match existing note titles become hyperlinks automatically, making it simple to construct a personal wiki. For example, repeated references to favorite artists would automatically be highlighted in notes containing their names. As of release 1.6 it supports text entries and hyperlinks to the World Wide Web, but not graphic image linking or embedding.
Some of the editing features supported:
- Text highlighting
- Inline spell checking using GtkSpell
- Auto-linking of web and email addresses
- Font styling and sizing
- Bulleted lists
- Note synchronization over SSH, WebDAV, Ubuntu One, or the Tomboy REST API that is implemented by several server applications
Tomboy supports several plugins, including:
- Evolution mail links
- Galago/Pidgin presence
- Note of the day (disabled by default)
- Fixed width text
- HTML export
- LaTeX math (in the package tomboy-latex, not installed by default)
- Conboy is a Tomboy port to the Maemo platform written in the C language
- Gnote is a conversion of the Tomboy code to the C++ language using the GTK toolkit
- libktomgirl is a platform independent library which allows software to read and write the Tomboy File Format
- Tomdroid is an effort to produce a Tomboy client for the Android mobile platform. "The goal is to be file format compatible and be able to sync notes with tomboy"
- TomBox is a simple Tomboy / Gnote note viewing application that reads notes from Dropbox. It's available on Android, iOS and Windows Phone mobile platforms.
- "Tomboy: Simple note taking". June 25, 2009. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- "Tomboy Web, A RESTful API for Tomboy Note Synchronization". 2014-08-23. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "garage: Conboy - Note Taking Application: Project Info". September 16, 2009. Retrieved September 16, 2009.
- "libktomgirl: An implementation of the Tomboy File Format in C++". October 15, 2013. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "Tomboy Notes on Android: Olivier Bilodeau Releases Tomdroid 0.1.0". April 21, 2009. Retrieved January 3, 2010.
- "Introducing TomBox". January 30, 2014. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tomboy (software).|