“…one of the most astounding performers of the day.” Gramophone (Editor’s Choice)
He has performed and recorded the entire standard repertoire for solo saxophone with orchestras including the London Symphony Orchestra, the London Philharmonic Orchestra, the Philharmonia (of London), St. Petersburg Philharmonic, “Tchaikovsky” Moscow Radio Symphony, Zurich Symphony, Berliner Symphoniker, Moscow Soloists, appearing at halls such as: the Carnegie Hall-New York, Royal Festival Hall, Wigmore Hall - London, Great Hall of the “Tchaikovsky” Moscow Conservatoire, Tonhalle-Zurich, Opera of Rome, Teatro Vincenzo Bellini, Athens Megaron Concert Hall, Beijing Concert Hall and Herod Atticus Theatre (Athens-Parthenon).
He works with Yuri Bashmet, Vladimir Fedoseyev, Michael Nyman, Yuri Simonov.
Theodore Kerkezos has been awarded with the Honorary Doctor of Musical Arts from the IAACC/ UNESCO, 'for his outstanding services as performer and professor at the international music stage' In 2012 the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences & Arts and the United Nations along with the support of the Russian Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Justice, unanimously elected him as Honorary Member of the Academy.
He was twice nominated for the USA 50th Grammy Awards in New York.
Theodore Kerkezos graduated from the Athens Conservatory (Babis Farantatos’ Class) and continued in Paris with Daniel Deffayet and in Bordeaux with Jean-Marie Londeix.
In 1999 he started a fruitful collaboration with the Alphonse Leduc Editions Musicales-Paris writing books for saxophone.
Works have been dedicated to him by leading composers such as Iannis Xenakis, Friedrich Cerha, and Mikis Theodorakis.
In 2000 (till 2010) he established and was the Director of the Saxophone Orchestra of Piraeus Prefecture, the unique in Europe State Orchestra in its kind.
He is a visiting professor giving master classes at Universities of: Boston, Princeton, Louisiana, Providence, at the Conservatories of: Boston, New England, Moscow State, and at the Academies of: Gnesin (Moscow), Chopin (Warsaw) and Kiev.
His discography with the London Symphony, London Philharmonic and Philharmonia has won many prestigious awards.
Most notable recordings
PERSONAL and AWARDED DISCOGRAPHY as CONCERT SOLOIST with orchestral accompaniment
- Legende French Works For Saxophone and Orchestra, London Symphony/Yuri Simonov/Abbey Road Studios,Onyx label,4065
- Music for Saxophone and Orchestra, The Philharmonia Orchestra/martyn Brabbins-London,Naxos 8.557063
- Ballades for Saxophone and Orchestra, London Philharmonic/Roberto Minzcuk,Naxos 8.557454
- Impressions for Saxophone and Orchestra/Greek Classics, 2006, Thessaloniki State Symphony/Myron Michailides,Naxos 8.557992
- Dinos Constantinides,Three Saxophone Concertos, Nuremberg Symphony/Stefanos Tsialis,Centaur CRC 2871
Recordings as concert soloist with orchestral accompaniment
- 2013: 20th Century Greece: Mikis Theodorakis, Nikos Skalkottas & Manos Hadjidakis. Thessaloniki State Symphony Orchestra, Ameritz Music Ltd.
- 2012: Virtuoso: Classical Music to Inspire, (various artists - Darius Milhaud’s Scaramouche for saxophone and orchestra, Philharmonia Orchestra) Naxos (Digital Compilations)
- 2012: Dinos Constantinides' Works, with the Slovak National Radio Symphony and Louisiana Sinfonietta. Concerto No. 5, and Music for Bill, cond. Mario Kosik, (to be released in December 2013 by Centaur-USA Label)
- 2011: My First Orchestra Album, Various artists - Darius Milhaud's Scaramouche for saxophone and orchestra - Philharmonia Orchestra. Naxos (Digital Compilations-iTunes) * 2011: My First Classical Music Album, Various artists - Glazunov's Concerto - Philharmonia Orchestra). Naxos 8.578203
- 2011: Athens Camerata, George Koumentakis’ Concerto for saxophone quartet, piano & strings with George Lazaridis (piano) and Kerkezos Saxophone Quartet at the Athens Megaron Hall. MDG Label
- 2010: Nuremberg Symphony, Bertold Hummel's Works, recorded at the Meistersinger Halle for the Bayerischen Rundfunk (Bavaria Radio-Germany), cond. Marc Kissoczy.
- 2010: Janacek Philharmonic of Czech Republic cond. Peter Feranec on Alkis Baltas' Monoloque.
- 2009: Thessaloniki State Symphony. Manos Hadjidakis’ Mr. Knoll, for Naxos Label Radio.
- 2008: Nuremberg Symphony. Darius Milhaud’s Scaramouche and Claude Debussy's Rhapsody, for the Bayerischen Rundfunk (Bavaria Radio-Germany), cond. Thomas Calb.
- 1997: Athens Camerata. Thanos Mikroutsikos, For Saxophone and Strings and Love and Dreams, cond. Alexander Myrat, AGORA Label 130.1
- Kerkezos's personal web site
- Interview by Nikos Dontas for Kathimerini in Greek.
- Interview by Paris Konstantinidis for Classicalmusic.gr in Greek.