Telespazio VEGA UK
|Private (Subsidiary of Telespazio)|
|Headquarters||Luton, Bedfordshire, UK|
|Peter Young (CEO)|
Number of employees
Telespazio VEGA UK Ltd. is a British space company based in Luton, Bedfordshire. Founded in 1978 by a small group of engineers at the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) in Darmstadt, Germany, VEGA now works with Space agencies, satellite operators and manufacturers around the world. It works with the European Space Agency (ESA) and ESOC in Germany, European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) in Noordwijk, the Netherlands, ESA Centre for Earth Observation (ESRIN) in Rome, Italy, and European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) in Madrid, Spain.
Since 1978, VEGA has worked on almost every ESA mission and many other European and international programmes, including Mars Express, the Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) for the International Space Station (ISS), the Eumetsat Polar System, and the Ground Segment Development for ADEN.
On 1 January 2011, VEGA Space Ltd, became a part of Telespazio, the Rome-based space systems services company. It was previously a part of Finmeccanica, having been originally acquired in 2008 as VEGA Group PLC.
VEGA was established in 1978 by a small group of engineers at the European Space Operations Centre in Darmstadt, Germany, who bid for and won a contract to provide satellite operations support to ESA missions. Since then, VEGA has continued to provide support on the same contract, which has been re-tendered every five years. The company has grown and evolved significantly in the past 32 years, including the following milestones:
- 1991 – VEGA formed its German subsidiary company, based in Darmstadt, the home of its two largest German-based customers, ESOC and EUMETSAT
- 1992 – VEGA floated on the London Stock Exchange
- 2004 – VEGA acquired Anite Systems GmbH (Darmstadt) – a specialist Space ground systems company
- 2008 – VEGA delisted as PLC from London Stock Exchange, following acquisition by Finmeccanica
- 2009 – VEGA’s parent in the Finmeccanica Group, SELEX Systems Integration Ltd, continues to trade in the Space domain under the name of VEGA
- 2010 – VEGA Space Ltd formed as a subsidiary company of SELEX Systems Integration Ltd
- 2011 – Ownership of VEGA Space Ltd transferred within Finmeccanica to Telespazio (a Finmeccanica / Thales company) on 1 January 2011.
- UKspace website
- News story from Satnews.com website
- Press release from Finmeccanica website
- UK Space Agency website