Location in Ireland
|Coordinates: 53°45′N 7°55′W / 53.750°N 7.917°WCoordinates: 53°45′N 7°55′W / 53.750°N 7.917°W|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
Tarmonbarry, officially Termonbarry (Irish: Tearmann Bearaigh, meaning "St Barry's sanctuary"), is a village in County Roscommon, Ireland. It is located where the N5 National primary route crosses the River Shannon. East of the bridge part of the village lies in County Longford. The 2002 Census stated that the village had less than 100 people. The 2006 Census saw that number rise to 518. This is in no small part to the Rural Renewal Tax Scheme which affects the area. The village is less than ten minutes drive from the county town of Longford which is situated a few kilometres east of the village.
The village originates from an abbey founded by saint Berach in the 6th century—the name of the village in Irish means roughly "Berach's sanctuary". It has a boutique hotel with restaurant and pub called Keenan's. The village has another restaurant called the Purple Onion which also has a bar. There are two other bars, the Shannon Bar and the Lodge. It has two shops including a petrol station with ATM, a marina, restaurants, a disused Garda station, a GAA pitch, an art gallery over the Purple Onion and a solicitor's practice. The village has a hairdressers called Funky Fringes.
Motor Yacht Club of Ireland
For a period of about ten years from 1925-1935, Tarmonbarry was one of the most important centres for hydroplane racing in Ireland, due to the water of the Shannon which was relatively calm. The racing was organised jointly between the North Shannon yacht Club and the Motor yacht club of Ireland. This activity declined due to the high cost or running and maintaining the boats.
Saint Berach is the patron saint of Termonberry.
- Placenames Database of Ireland: Termonbarry/Tearmann Bearaigh
- "St. Berach". Catholic Online. Retrieved on 13 November 2009.
- Longford Leader, 8 June 1932
- St. Berach at sqpn.com Retrieved 5 April 2013