Tarlok Singh (economist)
He studied at London School of Economics. He served on the Planning Commission of India since its inception and retired as a Member in 1967. He was a member of the Indian Civil Service from 1937 to 1962.He wrote INDIA'S first five year plan
He was also the first Private Secretary to Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India. He was the Director General of Rehabilitation in the Punjab responsible for the resettlement of refugees and served as the UNICEF Deputy Executive Director (Planning) from 1970 to 1974.
He was the first Chairman of the Indian Association of Social Science Institutions (who sponsor an annual memorial lecture in his name) and was awarded the Padma Vibhushan (2000), the Padma Bhushan (1962) and the Padma Shri by the President of India.
His books included Poverty and Social Change, Land Resettlement Manual for Displaced Persons, The Planning Process, Towards an Integrated Society, and India's Development Experience.
- "Tarlok Singh Memorial Lecture Series". Indian Association of Social Science Institutions. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Singh, Tarlochan (January 2006). "S. Tarlok Singh, ICS — An Obituary" (PDF). Sikh Review. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Deputy Executive Directors". UNICEF. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Padma Vibhushan Awardees". Government of India. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Padma Bhushan Awardees". Government of India. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.