"Through African Eyes"|
"First. Reliable. Accurate."
|Owner||Continental Broadcasting Service Nigeria Ltd.|
Nigel Parsons (CEO) |
Lemi Olalemi (Deputy CEO)
Tunde Osho (Director of news, current affairs and programmes)
February 28, 2013 |
June 17, 2013 (UK)
TVC News is a 24-hour television news channel owned by Continental Broadcasting Service Nigeria Ltd., based in Lagos. From its inception the network promoted itself as the "first Pan-African news agency" with plans to open offices in Johannesburg, Nairobi, Accra and Dakar. The channel airs on British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc (BSY) in the UK, Naspers Ltd. (NPN)’s DStv and Startimes in Nigeria, and Multi TV in Ghana.
Its current CEO is Nigel Parsons, former head of Al Jazeera English, and its deputy CEO is Lemi Olalemi, former director of programmes at Channels TV. One of the goals of the network is to offer a different perspective to many foreign media stereotypes about Africa. Parsons stated “Without shying away from reporting the conflicts or the corruption, the famines or the wars, the mission of TVC News is also to tell the many positive stories coming out of Africa. Stories – good or bad – will be told ‘through African eyes’.”
The network aired its first public broadcasting run on February 28, 2013. It began airing in the UK on BSkyB on June 17, 2013. In its first few months the network's staff has received awards from the Association for International Broadcasting (AIB) and the International Center for Journalists based out of Washington D.C.. As of 2014 the station is said to reach about five million households in Africa and Europe with interest from cable and satellite providers to expand its market share.
- "TVC News launches on Sky in UK". digitaltveurope.net. July 8, 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "TVC News, Africa's 24-hours news channel, now on Sky channel 572". Nigeria Business Communities. July 12, 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Pan-African TVC News to Start 24-Hour Broadcasting From November". Bloomberg. September 25, 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "TVC News acquires new technology for global reach". Daily Independent Nigeria. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "TVC NEWS LAUNCHES ON BSKYB". This Day Live. July 6, 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "'Africa needs own TV stations to correct misinformation'". Balancing Act - Africa.com. March 7, 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Pan-African Channel TVC News launches on BSkyB". AIB. June 18, 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Pan-African TVC News to begin 24-hour broadcasting". Communications of Africa. September 26, 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "TVC News Receives two major international awards". Premium Times Nigeria. November 23, 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "TVC News celebrates one year of global news coverage". YOHAIG. February 20, 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "TVC News vows to maintain editorial independence …marks one year anniversary". Nigerian Tribune. February 27, 2014. Retrieved 27 April 2014.