Steyr Motors GmbH
|Limited liability company|
|Revenue||29 million Euro (2009)|
Number of employees
In 2008 Steyr Motors presented the worldwide first parallel hybrid propulsion system for boats, STEYR HDS. In the same year, the company achieved numerous awards for this innovation (DAME Award at METS exhibition in Amsterdam and the National Marine Manufacturers Association’s IBEX Award). In cooperation with the Dutch company Mastervolt, STEYR MOTORS is the leading manufacturer of hybrid propulsion systems for pleasure boats.
Since 2011 Steyr Motors develops compact aircraft engines, based its monoblock engine, in cooperation with the Austrian company Austro Engine.
The principal products are the STEYR M1-"Monoblock" engine family which is the result of a long development process that was started by Steyr-Daimler-Puch in the 1920s. The STEYR M1 engine is a turbocharged Diesel engine with high pressure Unit Injectors with two stage injection nozzles, providing up to 2.000 bar injection pressure. It is a compact and light engine designed to be operated with Diesel, Kerosene or Maritime Diesel fuel.
Adapted versions of these engines are used in various boats and military vehicles. Automotive and military applications are for instance as AM General’s HMMWV (M16, 135 kW), Panhard’s VBL (M14, 95 kW), Hägglund's Bandvagn 206S (M16, 145 kW), UROVESA's URO VAMTAC (M16, 135 kW or M14, 85 kW), BAE Systems' RG-32M LTV (M16, 200 kW), Force Protection's Ocelot (M16, 160 kW).
2.1L Turbodiesel, straight engine, 4-cylinder
3.2L Turbodiesel, straight engine, 6-cylinder
STEYR Hybrid Drive System is a Diesel-electric parallel hybrid system. It allows a clean and silent propulsion within the harbour because the boat can be driven purely by its electric motor. The electric motor can also be use in a 'Boost'-mode to support the Diesel engine to achieve better accelerations.
- Spritsparender Diesel-Hybrid beschleunigt Steyr Motors: OÖ Nachrichten, 19.Mai 2011 (in German)
- Company Profile: STEYR MOTORS GmbH: GSGnet.net
- DAME Award der METS für Steyr Motors: Adrianews.com
- Steyr Motors receives Innovation Award from NMMA at IBEX, MIAMI: AM-TECH
- Mastervolt and Steyr Motors Partner To Drive the Hybrid Propulsion Market Forwards: British Marine Electronics Association, 24th sept. 2010
- Steyr Motors signs new licensing agreement, ibinews.com, 29 May 2009
- News: 4 March 2011: Steyr-Motors.com
- General Info: Steyr-Motors.com
- Ocelot Mine protected wheeled armoured vehicle: Army Recognition
- Applications (Gallery): Steyr-Motors.com
- Parallel Hybrid: Steyr-Motors.com