Stephensons of Essex
|Service type||Bus & coach services|
|Routes||104 (October 2013)|
|Fleet||95 (September 2013)|
|Annual ridership||1.8 million (2012)|
|Chief executive||Bill Hiron|
It also runs private hire coaches, and has a bus and coach dealership and sales service.
Stephensons was founded in Rochford in 1975, and has since expanded by gaining contracts for bus routes.
In 2001 after Arriva Southend decided to withdraw their route 721 service, Stephensons commenced operating routes X1 and X10 from Rochford to London under the London Link Express brand. X1 was the original number of the service when it was first launched in 1980. Stephensons withdrew the service on 11 July 2008. Swallow Coach Company revived the service on 14 August 2008 but it again ceased on 29 May 2009.
In 2005 Stephensons won a contract to operate the Dengie Connections services from Arriva Southend, which it operated for five years from April 2007. In 2012 this was extended for a further four years.
In 2008 it won the contract to run Withamlink services 38 and 39.
In November 2016, Stephensons of Essex owner Bill Hiron will purchase Galloway European. The two businesses will operate independently.
- Companies House extract company no 1815977 Stephensons of Essex Limited
- About Us Stephensons of Essex
- Southend Transport - The X1 Story SCT61 2 January 2004
- Withdrawal of Commuter Services X1 & X10 Stephensons of Essex 12 May 2008
- Commuter bus service revived Essex Echo 8 August 2008
- Coach route returns by popular demand Essex Echo 11 August 2008
- "Essex County Council Highways and Transportation – Executive Decision – Dengie Peninsula Passenger Transport Network" (PDF). 2007. Retrieved 29 July 2009.
- Buses to continue to serve the Dengie despite threat to services Maldon Chronicle 25 June 2012
- Stephensons owners take on Galloway Bus & Coach Buyer 6 April 2016
- Galloway bought by Eastern Transport Holdings Route One 7 April 2016
- Galloways sold to Stephensons of Essex Ipswich Star 19 April 2016
- Local Buses Stephensons of Essex
- Fleet List Stephensons of Essex 24 September 2013