St Thomas's Hospital Medical School
It was part of one of the oldest hospitals in London, St Thomas' Hospital established in 1173 but whose roots can be traced to the establishment of St Mary Overie Priory in 1106. According to historical records St Thomas's Hospital Medical School was founded in about 1550. It was admitted as a school of the University of London in 1900 but remained a constituent part of St Thomas' Hospital until 1948 when it formally became part of the university. In 1982 it merged with the medical school at Guy's Hospital to form the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals. In turn UMDS was absorbed by King's College London School of Medicine and Dentistry, but the dentists have since been split out into The Dental Institute.
Famous alumni include
- Takaki Kanehiro (1849 - 1920) - Japanese naval doctor, first person to discover the link between beriberi and diet.
- Havelock Ellis (1859 - 1939) - Physician, sexual psychologist and social reformer.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965) - Playwright, novelist, short story writer.
- Eric Anson (1892 - 1969) - New Zealand's first specialist anaesthetist.
- Max Theiler (1899 – 1972) - Virologist, awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1951 for developing a vaccine for yellow fever.
- Rustom Jal Vakil (b. 1911) - Eminent Indian cardiologist, recipient of the prestigious Lasker Prize known as the American Nobel.
- Richard Doll (1912 - 2005) - Epidemiologist and physiologist; established link between smoking and cancer.
- Dame Cecily Saunders DBE OM (1918-2005) - Nurse, physician and social worker who developed the concept of the hospice and was a pioneer of palliative care.
- Walter W. Holland CBE (b. 1929) - Epidemiologist and public health physician
- David Owen (b. 1938) - Labour Foreign Secretary and founder of the Social Democratic Party.
- Jeffrey Tate (b. 1948) - Conductor
- Fiona Wood AM (b. 1958) - Plastic surgeon, Australian of the Year 2005.
- Tony Freemont AM (b. 1953) - Current head of Manchester Medical School.
- Tony Osbourne (b. 1972) - Physician, cardiologist.
- "The Foundation of St Thomas's" (PDF). p. 1.
- "A Chronology of State Medicine, Public Health, Welfare and Related Services in Britain 1066-1999" (PDF). p. 11.
- "Our history".
- Crockford AL (December 1951). "History of St. Thomas's Hospital Medical School". Med Illus. 5 (12): 568–72. PMID 14910157.
- Lists of St. Thomas's Hospital Medical School students
- List of St. Thomas's Hospital Medical School military personnel, 1914-1918