Tiobraid Árann Theas
Motto: Vallis Aurea Siurensis (Latin)|
"The Golden Vale of the Suir"
|• Type||County Council (1898–2014)|
|• Total||2,257 km2 (871 sq mi)|
|Car plates||TS (1987–2013)|
South Tipperary (Irish: Tiobraid Árann Theas) is a former county in Ireland. It is part of the South-East Region and is also located in the province of Munster. It was named after the town of Tipperary and consisted of 52% of the land area of the traditional county of Tipperary. South Tipperary County Council was the local authority for the county. The population of the county was 88,433 according to the 2011 census. It was abolished on 3 June 2014, merged with North Tipperary under a new Tipperary County Council.
Geography and political subdivisions
The county was part of the central plain of Ireland, but the diversified terrain contained several mountain ranges: the Knockmealdown, the Galtee. The county was landlocked. The county was drained by the River Suir. The centre was known as 'the Golden Vale', a rich pastoral stretch of land in the Suir basin which extends into counties Limerick and Cork.
The county was established in 1898 with separate assize courts since 1838. The county town was Clonmel; other important urban centres included Carrick-on-Suir, Cashel, Cahir, and Tipperary. The county's motto was Vallis Aurea Siurensis (Latin: The Golden Vale of the Suir).
Civil parishes and townlands
Civil parishes in Ireland were delineated after the Down Survey as an intermediate subdivision, with multiple townlands per parish and multiple parishes per barony. The civil parishes had some use in local taxation and were included on the nineteenth century maps of the Ordnance Survey of Ireland. For poor law purposes, District Electoral Divisions replaced civil parishes in the mid-nineteenth century. There were 123 civil parishes in the county.
Local government and politics
The administrative county of Tipperary (South Riding) was established in 1898. The area also had a separate existence as a judicial county following the establishment of assize courts in 1838. The county's name changed to South Tipperary, and the council's name to South Tipperary County Council under the Local Government Act 2001. The Council oversaw the county as an independent local government area. The Council was made up of 21 representatives, directly elected through the system of proportional representation by means of a single transferable vote.
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1991, (Regional Authorities) (Establishment) Order, 1993, the territory of South Tipperary was defined as being in the South-East Region. This region was a NUTS III region of the European Union. The county of North Tipperary, by contrast, was part of the Mid-West Region Region. At a NUTS II level, both counties were in the Southern and Eastern region.
There were native speakers of Irish in South Tipperary until the middle of the 20th century. Recordings of their dialect, made before the last native speakers died, have been made available through a project of the Royal Irish Academy Library.
- Tipperary County Council Tipperary County Council, 29 May 2014. Quote: "Tipperary County Council will become an official unified authority on Tuesday, 3rd June 2014. The new authority combines the existing administration of North Tipperary County Council and South Tipperary County Council."
- "Interactive map (civil parish boundaries viewable in Historic layer)". Mapviewer. Ordnance Survey of Ireland. Retrieved 9 March 2010.
- Placenames Database of Ireland - Tipperary civil parishes.
- Official Irish Statues website. Local Government Act 1991, (Regional Authorities) (Establishment) Order.
- The Doegen Records Web Project (2009). "Recordings of Séamas Ó Liatháin" (in Irish). Royal Irish Academy. Retrieved 18 February 2010.