South Atlantic Intercollegiate Athletic Association
|South Atlantic Intercollegiate Athletic Association |
|J. T. England||1912|
The South Atlantic Intercollegiate Athletic Association (SAIAA) was an intercollegiate athletic conference with its main focus of promoting track and arranging track meets. The SAIAA was first formed in 1911 and remained active until 1921. The conference's membership was centered in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States, with member schools located in the states of Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, as well as the District of Columbia.
The conference disbanded in 1921, and six of its schools became founding members of the Southern Conference alongside eight former members of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association (SIAA). Those six SAIAA schools were: Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Washington and Lee (except for the latter and Maryland, all are now in the Atlantic Coast Conference).
The following universities were members of the SAIAA at some point during its existence. Where known, the school's name is followed by the period of its membership in the conference. Italicized years indicate a confirmed year of membership, but may not be exhaustive. Track meets were held in 1911, and 1912 was the first season of play for all sports.
- Catholic 1915–1921
- Davidson 1916–1921
- George Washington 1914–1921
- Georgetown 1911–1921
- Johns Hopkins 1911–1921
- Maryland 1911–1921
- North Carolina 1911–1921
- North Carolina State 1911–1921
- Richmond 1911–1921
- St. John's (MD) 1911–1921
- Trinity College 1916–1921
- Virginia 1911–1921
- Virginia Tech 1911–1921
- Virginia Military Institute 1916–1921
- Washington and Lee 1911–1921
- William & Mary 1916–1921
|1914||Washington and Lee/Virginia|
|1920||Virginia Military Institute|
|1921||Washington and Lee|
- Roger Saylor, Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association (PDF), College Football Historical Society, The LA84 Foundation, retrieved March 14, 2009.
- Association, National Collegiate Athletic (1912-01-01). Proceedings of the ... Annual Convention ...
- Proceedings of the Annual Convention of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, 1921.
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (1922). Official Collegiate Track and Field Guide. p. 109.
- Kemp Plummer Battle, History of the University of North Carolina, Page 20.
- American Physical Education Review. Committee on Publication and Information of the Council of the A.A.A.P.E. 1913-01-01.
- Proceedings of the Annual Convention of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, 1916.
- COLLEGE TRACK RECORDS.; Four New South Atlantic Figures Made at Baltimore Meet, The New York Times, May 4, 1913.
- Conference Champions of the South Atlantic Intercollegiate Athletic Association,College Football Data Warehouse
- South Atlantic Intercollegiate Athletic Association Conference Championships, College Football Data Warehouse.