Someday (Alan Jackson song)
|Single by Alan Jackson|
|from the album Don't Rock the Jukebox|
|B-side||"From a Distance"|
|Released||August 19, 1991|
Promo-only CD single|
7" 45 RPM
|Recorded||August 21, 1990|
|Alan Jackson singles chronology|
"Someday" is a song written by American country music singer-songwriter Alan Jackson and Jim McBride, and recorded by Jackson. It was released in August 1991 as the second single from Jackson's second album, Don't Rock The Jukebox, the song peaked at number 1 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart, and number 2 on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks chart.
The narrator in the song is seeing his relationship with his significant other end because she’s finally moving on. The man was always saying he’d get his act together someday, but someday never came around and she got sick of waiting. At the end of the song the narrator proves he has gotten his act together by fixing up an old car he said he'd get around to "someday" and driving to his ex's work where she drives off with him.
Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song an A grade," saying that "one of Jackson’s greatest strengths as a writer is that he’s able to craft lyrics that weave everyday jargon into poetry. The man and woman here talk like real people talk, but the conversation is structured in such a way that it elevates it into art."
The music video was directed by Mark Lindquist and premiered in mid-1991.
Peak chart positions
"Someday" debuted at No. 50 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of August 31, 1991.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||2|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||51|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||63|
by Travis Tritt
|Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks
November 9, 1991
| Succeeded by|
by Garth Brooks
- The Greatest Hits Collection (CD). Alan Jackson. Arista Records. 1995. 07822 18801.
- CountryUniverse.net Review by Kevin John Coyne
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 7779." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. November 30, 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Alan Jackson – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Alan Jackson.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1991". RPM. December 21, 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Best of 1991: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.