It was first mentioned in 1329 as “Sauly, Sali posessio”, and since then the village name has been connected with the word “salt” (sol means salt in Croatian). During the Roman Empire the village was plotted on the history maps as “Saldis”, and one of the main Roman roads that lead to Sirmium (Sremska Mitrovica) went via Saldis.
The village’s greatest development was during the 18th and the 19th century when the Slovaks from Vojvodina and Slovakia settled there. Today their descendants are the biggest minority in the village.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soljani.|