Type of site
|Film, music, TV and video games webzine|
|Editor||Ed Gonzalez and Sal Cinquemani|
|Alexa rank||26,954 (April 2014)|
Slant Magazine is an online publication that features reviews of movies, music, TV, DVDs, theater, and video games, as well as interviews with actors, directors, and musicians. The site covers various film festivals like the New York Film Festival.
Slant Magazine first launched in 2001. On January 21, 2010, the site relaunched and absorbed the entertainment blog The House Next Door, founded by former New York Times and New York Press writer Matt Zoller Seitz and maintained by Time Out New York film critic Keith Uhlich, who continues as the blog's editor.
Style and attitude
The magazine's music section originally focused very heavily on pop music but increasingly more indie-oriented music, including country, has been heavily reviewed on the site.
Since the Iraq War began, the editorial content has become more political—resulting in the creation of a political section on the site—but the focus remains on entertainment.
Slant in the media
A. O. Scott of The New York Times called Slant Magazine "a repository of passionate and often prickly pop-cultural analysis". Slant's reviews have often been the source of debate and discourse online and in the media: Ed Gonzalez's review of Kevin Gage's 2005 film Chaos sparked some debate when Roger Ebert quoted Gonzalez in review of the film in the Chicago Sun-Times; The New York Press quoted another Slant writer, Keith Uhlich, in a review of the Michael Bay film The Island; and Gonzalez, who writes regularly for The Village Voice film section, was recently praised by former Voice critic Nathan Lee for his attention to politics and pop culture in a lively and interesting way.
KillerStartups.com, a web community that reviews websites for both entrepreneurs and investors, called Slant "one of the most influential online sources of news, comment, opinion and controversy in the world of indie, pop and mainstream entertainment."
On January 21, 2010, MovieMaker Magazine named Slant Magazine's blog, The House Next Door, one of the "50 Best Blogs for Moviemakers", and on January 26, 2010, The House Next Door was named one of "18 obsessive, cantankerous, and unstoppable Gotham blogs worth going ape over" by the Village Voice.
Slant Magazine employs two different rating systems:
- Films and television programs are rated using the traditional four-star system.
- Albums, DVDs and video games are rated using a five-star system.
- "Slantmagazine.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Politics | The House Next Door". Slantmagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- The New York Times: "Say 'Brian De Palma.' Let the Fighting Start."
- Ebert, Roger (2005-08-11). "Chicago Sun-Times: "Chaos" Review". Rogerebert.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- New York Press: "Supersonic Strap-On" Archived November 17, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Yamato, Jen (2008-04-23). "Meet a Critic: Nathan Lee Weighs in on Leaving the Village Voice, Why Critics are Ineffective, and What's Next". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "SlantMagazine.com – Indie Entertainment And Arts". KillerStartups.com. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- MovieMaker: "50 Best Blogs for Moviemakers" Archived January 27, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Roy Edroso (2010-01-26). "I Blog New York: Your Guide to Gotham's Best". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2014-02-11.