Colin Sinclair Mayne|
Departmental scientific advsior for Northern Ireland's Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
Director of Sustainable Agri-Food Sciences at the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute
Dr Colin Sinclair Mayne is an agricultural scientist from Northern Ireland. Since February 2009, he has been the departmental scientific advisor for Northern Ireland's Department of Agriculture and Rural Development and the director of Sustainable Agri-Food Sciences at the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute.
He is a past president of the British Society of Animal Science and has been president of the British Grassland Society since 31 March 2009. He is also a member of the Research and Development Advisory Forum for Dairy Co.
Early life and education
Mayne was brought up in a farming background. He received a BAgr in 1980 and earned his Ph.D. from Queen's University Belfast in 1983.
His research expertise is in dairy cattle, cattle grazing, grass production, improving the efficiency of milk production, reducing the environmental impact of livestock production. He has authored or co-authored 90 scientific papers, and has been invited to present at conferences.
Mayne has worked in research and development around dairying and grassland. He began his career at the English Grassland Research Institute near Okehampton in Devon. He later worked for the Agricultural Research Institute of Northern Ireland in Hillsborough, Northern Ireland. The institute later became part of the U.K.'s Agri-Food and Biosciences Institutes in 2006.
He was awarded the Sir John Hammond Memorial Award from the British Society of Animal Science (BSAS) in 1996 and the British Grassland Society Award for outstanding contributions to grassland knowledge in 2001. He was awarded Fellowship of the Royal Agricultural Societies in 2004.
- "Dr. Sinclair Mayne". dairyco.org.uk. Dairy Co. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Dr Sinclair Mayne". afbini.gov.uk. Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Record for Mayne's thesis". scientificcommons.org. ScientificCommons. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Development & Alumni Relations Office". qub.ac.nz. Queen's University Belfast. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- 1998 Pennsylvania Grazing And Forage Conference To Be Held In Grantville, Pennsylvania State University, 6 February 1998. Mayne was invited to give two addresses at this conference.
- "Dr Sinclair Mayne takes up his post as BSAS President following the AGM on 31 March 2009". bsas.org.uk. BSAS. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Sir John Hammond Memorial Award". bsas.org.uk. BSAS. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Davies, D. Arthur (2005). An Account of the Activities and Organisation of the British Grassland Society from 1995 to 2005. British Grassland Society. p. 7.