July 1, 1961|
Buffalo, New York
|Nationality||United States, Israel|
|Alma mater||University of Texas at Austin|
|Known for||Jewish outreach, media coverage of the Arab-Israeli conflict|
Shraga Simmons (born 1 July 1961) is an Orthodox Jewish rabbi, journalist and filmmaker involved in Jewish adult education and pro-Israel activism. He is the co-founder of Aish.com and JewishPathways.com, educational websites with 500,000 unique email subscribers. He has produced a number of award-winning online films including "Google Exodus."
In 2000, Simmons co-founded HonestReporting.com, the pro-Israel media watch group. In 2012, he published David & Goliath, a study of Western media bias in coverage of the Arab–Israeli conflict. The 400-page book is sourced with over 2,000 footnotes and includes statistical studies that claim to document a pervasive pro-Palestinian slant in the New York Times, CNN and much of the British media. The book met with critical acclaim, with the Wall Street Journal calling it "crucially important" and the Boston Globe describing it as "astonishing, infuriating, illuminating."
Simmons was born and raised in Buffalo, New York. After graduating from the University of Texas at Austin with a degree in journalism, he worked as a reporter for newspapers and magazines. In 1994, he received rabbinic ordination from the Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem. He served three years as Director of Outreach for Aish HaTorah in Los Angeles.
His columns, particularly "Shraga's Weekly" and "Ask the Rabbi", are featured on many Jewish websites. He is often quoted as a rabbinical authority in print and online media. His work has been translated into 10 languages.
Simmons is an activist in matters regarding media bias relating to the Arab–Israeli conflict. He is the founding editor of HonestReporting, a pro-Israel media watch group. In 2006 he produced a short film "Photo Fraud in Lebanon" which was viewed by 5 million people in a span of days. In 2009 he produced a video which exposed glaring inconsistencies in media coverage of the Gaza flotilla raid.
In 2012 he wrote, directed and produced a short Internet film, The Red Line, explaining the urgency of preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. The film was viewed by over one million people in one week.
- David & Goliath: The Explosive Inside Story of Media Bias in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. Emesphere. 2012. ISBN 0-9840398-0-5.
Together with Rabbi Nechemia Coopersmith of Aish.com, Simmons has co-edited four collections of articles which originally appeared on that website:
- Like Water on a Rock. ArtScroll. 2011. ISBN 1-4226-1175-2.
- Heaven on Earth: Down to earth Jewish spirituality. Targum Press. 2002. ISBN 1-56871-206-5.
- Israel: Life in the shadow of terror. Targum Press. 2003. ISBN 1-56871-237-5.
- Triumph: Inspiring true stories of challenge and spiritual growth. Targum Press. 2006. ISBN 1-56871-411-4.
- "Antisemitism and the Holocaust" in Kornbluth, Doron (1999). Jewish Matters: A Pocketbook of Knowledge and Inspiration. pp. 30–37. ISBN 1-56871-188-3.
- "Second Look". torah.org. 2007. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- Greenberg, Karen J. (2006). The Torture Debate in America. Cambridge University Press. p. 167. ISBN 0-521-85792-9.
- "Rabbi's Sermons – Does Judaism Allow Cloning?". Mishkan Torah Synagogue. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- Kazilsky, Amy (8 January 2009). "Genesis Reads Like a Sibling Rivalry Primer". Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- Memberg, Fran. "Organ Donation, a Lifesaving Mitzvah: Beth Jacob Member Needs a Kidney". Atlanta Jewish News. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- Haist, Paul (15 November 2008). "Chosen Pets: May Fido have the lobster?". Jewish Review. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- Gerstenfeld, Manfred; Green, Ben (Fall 2004). "Watching the Pro-Israel Media Watchers". Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- David House, "A Picture is Worth... Ah...", Fort Worth Star-Telegram, August 27, 2006.
- Chottiner, Lee. "U.S. Jews play 'historic role' in campaigning for Israel". The Jewish Chronicle of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- David & Goliath: The Explosive Inside Story of Media Bias in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
- The Red Line film
- Shraga Simmons website
- Shraga's Weekly commentary on the parsha
- List of articles by Simmons on Aish.com
- How Terrorists Manipulate the Media (video analysis by Shraga Simmons)