A company store in Hillsboro, Oregon
|Industry||General building materials|
|Founded||Cleveland, Ohio, United States (1866 )|
|Headquarters||Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.|
Number of locations
|4,339 stores (2011)|
|Revenue||US$ 10.185 Billion (FY 2013)|
|US$1.085 billion (FY 2013)|
|US$752.561 Million (FY 2013) (FY 2013)|
|Total assets||US$6.382 billion (FY 2013)|
|Total equity||US$1.774 billion (FY 2013)|
Number of employees
|37,633 (Dec 2013)|
The Sherwin-Williams Company is an American Fortune 500 company in the general building materials industry. The company, with headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio, primarily engages in the manufacture, distribution, and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers primarily in North and South America and Europe. The company is mostly known through its Sherwin-Williams Paints line. On March 20, 2016, Sherwin-Williams announced the acquisition of Valspar for approximately $9 billion.
Founded by Henry Sherwin and Edward Williams in Cleveland in 1866, the company operates through four segments: Paint Stores Group (known as 'Sherwin-Williams Stores'), Consumer Group, Latin America Coatings Group, and Global Finishes Group.
The Americas Group, known as Sherwin-Williams Paints, was the first section of the company to be established, in 1866. These stores market and sell Sherwin-Williams branded architectural paints and coatings, industrial and marine products, and original equipment manufacturer product finishes and similar items. As of January 1, 2011, the Paint Stores Group operated 3,954 individual paint stores. By January 1, 2016, the Paints stores group had expanded to 4,080 stores.
The Diversified Brands Group develops, manufactures, and distributes various paints, coatings, and related products, under the brand names of Duron, Frazee, MAB, Minwax, Krylon, Mautz, Purdy, Bestt Liebco, Thompson's WaterSeal, H&C, Pratt & Lambert, Martin-Senour and Dutch Boy, to third party customers in addition to overseeing the operations maintained by The Americas Group.
On August 28, 2007, Sherwin Williams purchased Columbia Paint & Coatings. On July 6, 2011, Sherwin-Williams acquired Leighs Paints, based in Bolton UK, manufacturers of intumescent and high performance industrial coatings. In late 2012, Sherwin Williams began the process of purchasing the Comex Group. Comex, currently private owned, is the 4th largest paint manufacturer in North America.
In 2007, the company introduced its first "Idea Center" in Shaker Heights, Ohio, in an effort to provide customers with an interior design environment as contrasted with its conventional paint stores.
Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes
The Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes segment develops, manufactures, and distributes various motor vehicle finish, refinish, and touch-up products. It also licenses certain technology and trade names worldwide, as well as distributes Sherwin-Williams branded automotive finish and refinish products through its network of automotive branches. The Automotive Finishes segment opened their 200th automotive branch in Calumet Park, IL on September 21, 2007. The International Coatings segment develops, licenses, manufactures, and distributes various paints, coatings, and related products worldwide through 76 company-operated specialty paint stores, as of the above date, and by outside selling functions to other dealers and distributors.
Sherwin-Williams Spray Source
The Sherwin-Williams Spray Source service centers offer new equipment, parts and accessories, maintenance and repairs to rental programs. There are over 100 service centers located across the U.S. and Puerto Rico. They have factory-trained technicians that provide maintenance and repairs on paint sprayers, pressure (cleaners) washers, conventional spray guns, HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) systems, plural-component equipment from manufacturers like EXEL North America, Kremlin Rexson, Sames, Johnstone, Graco, Titan/Speeflo, Spraytech/Wagner, Capspray, ITW Binks, AccuSpray, Mi-T-M, Pressure Pro, and more. They provide repairs like maintenance, emergency and warranty, telephone troubleshooting support, on-site demonstrations, and training. Prior to 2008, the program was called SherWorks.
In 1929, Sherwin-Williams Mexico started operations. Headquarters is in Mexico City.
Sherwin-Williams Mexico has 109 branches and 200 dealers.
STIR magazine is a tri-annual publication delivering color news and resources to residential and commercial interior designers and architects throughout North America. The magazine is created and published by Hanley Wood, LLC. The first issue was published in 2004.
Between 1981 and 1987, Sherwin-Williams owned Gray Drug.
STIR magazine has won several industry awards, including a 2005 FOLIO award for best design, new custom publication, as well as a 2007 Pearl Award from the Custom Publishing Council for the best in custom Publishing category.
On June 20, 2011, Computerworld named The Sherwin-Williams Company the #58 Best Place to Work in IT.
Sherwin-Williams' major competitors are PPG, DuPont Performance Coatings, BASF (through Ace Hardware Retailer's and Lowe's), Behr (through Home Depot), and Benjamin Moore. There are also several smaller, regional competitors, though Sherwin-Williams has acquired a few of them (such as MAB and Columbia Paint & Coatings and Parker Paints) in recent years. Valspar was acquired in 2016.
Lead paint lawsuit
In January 2014, the Santa Clara County Superior Court ruled that Sherwin-Williams, along with NL Industries and ConAgra were jointly and severally liable for $1.15 billion, to be paid into a lead paint abatement fund to be used to remove lead paint from older housing. The judge ruled that the paint companies manufactured, marketed, and sold lead paint without disclosing the health risks to the consumers in spite of "actual and constructive knowledge that it was harmful." In March 2014 Sherwin-Williams was denied a new trial.
Members of the team of attorneys who fought the case, including Mary E. Alexander of Mary Alexander & Associates, P.C. in San Francisco, Joseph W. Cotchett and Nancy L. Fineman of Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP in Burlingame, Calif., Peter Earle of the Law Office of Peter Earle in Milwaukee, Wis., and Fidelma L. Fitzpatrick of the firm Motley Rice in Providence, R.I. were given a 2014 Trial Lawyer of the Year Award at the annual Public Justice Gala and Awards Dinner on July 27 at the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore, Md. As per their 2013 annual report, Sherwin-Williams considers this case without merit and will appeal the decision. The process may take another two years.
- THE SHERWIN-WILLIAMS COMPANY Form 10-K, Securities and Exchange Commission, February 27, 2014
- "Sherwin-Williams paint company to buy Valspar for $8.9 billion".
- "Country Boys Make Good...". Sherwin-Williams. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Drukenbrod, Mark. "Columbia Paint & Coatings Co. to merge with Sherwin-Williams, Hercules acquires specialty surfactants business of Dexter Chemical L.L.C., Benjamin Moore acquires Finnaren & Haley Paint & Coatings". SpecialChem. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Cho, Janet. "1 comment Sherwin-Williams buys Consorcio Comex's U.S. and Canadian business, still hopeful about Mexican division". Cleveland.com. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Custom Publishing Powerhouse Michael Hurley Joins Hanley Wood Marketing
- Hanley Wood Marketing 2007 Pearl Award
- 2011 Computer World Best Places to Work in IT #58
- "2015 BUILDER BRAND USE STUDY RESULTS". Builder. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- Rosenblatt, Joel (2013-12-17). "Sherwin, NL, ConAgra Lose $1.1 Billion Lead Paint Ruling". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- Rosenblatt, Joel (2014-01-08). "Manufacturers Must Pay $1.15 Billion in Lead Paint Suit". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- Elias, Paul (2013-12-17). "Lead Paint Lawsuit: Judge Orders 3 Companies To Pay $1.1 Billion For Removal Services". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- Kleinberg, James (7 January 2014). "Judge Kleinberg's Order, final statement of decision, Case Number 1-00-CV-788657" (PDF). Santa Clara County Superior Court's Electronic Filing System. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
The defendants sold lead paint with actual and constructive knowledge that it was harmful
- VALHI INC /DE/ Form 10-K on 03/13/2015
- "Attorneys Who Won Landmark Lead Paint Judgment and Cleanup Named Public Justice Trial Lawyers of the Year". The Public Justice Foundation. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Annual Report 2013 page 32-33." (PDF). Sherwin-Williams. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- McDermott, Kathleen; Dyer, Davis (1991). America's paint company: a history of Sherwin-Williams. [Cleveland, Ohio]: Sherwin-Williams.
- Sherwin-Williams YouTube channel
- Sherwin-Williams Facebook page
- Sherwin-Williams Twitter page
- Sherwin-Williams Tumblr page
- Sherwin-Williams Pinterest page
- Sherwin-Williams Google+ page
- Sherwin-Williams Houzz page
- The Sherwin Williams Home Decorator and Color Guide (1939) Kenneth Franzheim II Rare Books Room ,William R. Jenkins Architecture and Art Library, University of Houston Digital Library.