Shane Dawson (baseball)
|Toronto Blue Jays|
Born: September 9, 1993|
Drayton Valley, Alberta
|Pan American Games|
|2015 Toronto||National team|
Shane James Dawson (born September 9, 1993) is a Canadian professional baseball pitcher in the Toronto Blue Jays organization. He is ranked 30th on Major League Baseball's Top 30 Blue Jays prospects list.
High school and college
Dawson was selected in the 17th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball draft by the Toronto Blue Jays. He was assigned to the Gulf Coast League Blue Jays for the 2012 season, where he pitched 30 2⁄3 innings and posted a 2–1 record, 2.35 ERA, and 35 strikeouts. Dawson began the 2013 season with the Bluefield Blue Jays of the Appalachian League, and was later promoted to the Vancouver Canadians of the Northwest League. After 4 starts for Vancouver, Dawson reported left elbow pain, and fearing Tommy John surgery, was rested for the remainder of the season. He would pitch to a combined 2–4 record, 3.13 ERA, and 61 strikeouts in 46 innings. After reporting to fall instructional camp, doctors discovered that he had been born without a left infraspinatus muscle.
Dawson spent the entire 2014 campaign with the Class-A Lansing Lugnuts, making 14 appearances (10 starts) before being shut down in July due to arm fatigue. He would earn a 3–5 record, 3.38 ERA, and 46 strikeouts in 56 innings pitched. He began the 2015 season with Lansing, where he was named a Midwest League All-Star, and was selected to play for the Canada national baseball team at the Pan American Games, winning the gold medal. After the Games he returned to Lansing and continued his run of success, earning his league-leading 12th win before being called up to the Advanced-A Dunedin Blue Jays on August 1. Dawson finished the 2015 season with Dunedin, and in 24 total games, pitched to a 15–6 record, 3.03 ERA, and 120 strikeouts in 127 2⁄3 innings. He played the entire 2016 season with the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats, where he would post a 10–4 record, 4.22 ERA, and 95 strikeouts in a career-high 134 1⁄3 innings pitched.
- "MLB 2016 Prospect Watch". MLB.com. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- Anastasiadis, Votham (November 7, 2011). "Local hurler looking forward to opportunities on the mound". draytonvalleywesternreview.com. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "Shane Dawson Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Lott, John (June 11, 2015). "Toronto Blue Jays prospect Shane Dawson, pitching without a muscle in his shoulder, starting to show his true potential". news.nationalpost.com. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Elliott, Bob (June 18, 2015). "Andrew Albers leads Canada's Pan Am baseball roster". torontosun.com. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Fine, David (July 24, 2015). "Lugnuts set club hits record in 18-1 rout". milb.com. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "Lugnuts All-Star Dawson Promoted to Dunedin". oursportscentral.com. August 1, 2015. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)