Serotonergic (/, /) or serotoninergic (//) means "pertaining to or affecting serotonin". Serotonin is a neurotransmitter. A synapse is serotonergic if it uses serotonin as its neurotransmitter. A serotonergic neuron produces serotonin. A substance is serotonergic if it produces its effects via interactions with the serotonin system, such as by stimulating or blocking neurotransmission.
A serotonergic or serotonergic agent is any chemical that modifies the effects of serotonin in the body. Some different types of serotonergics drugs include the following:
- Serotonin receptor agonists and antagonists
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- Serotonin releasing agents
- "Serotonergic". Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
- "Serotonergic". Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House.
- "serotoninergic". Merriam-Webster Dictionary.