Senior Man

Senior Man is a position held in some collegiate universities by the head of a college's JCR (the undergraduate student body). It is the equivalent of 'President'. The Senior Man acts as the chief representative of the student body, as a figurehead for the JCR and as an elected official.[1] He or she is also responsible for leading the JCR's executive council.

Although terminology refers to the position as a Senior 'Man', a woman may also fill this role.[2] This reflects the history of these colleges, which were founded as single sex male-only institutions.

The position of Senior Man is in use at three colleges of Durham University:


  1. 1 2 Senior Man Leslie, Justin; St Chad's College; 19 March 2006; Accessed 9 February 2007
  2. Motion to rename JJCR President; St John's College JCR; 17 March 2006; Accessed 9 February 2007
  3. The JCR Exec University College JCR; Accessed 9 February 2007
  4. How the JCR Works Hatfield College JCR; 2006; Accessed 9 February 2007
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 8/31/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.