Selma, Switzerland

Former municipality of Switzerland

Coat of arms
Coordinates: 46°19′N 9°7′E / 46.317°N 9.117°E / 46.317; 9.117Coordinates: 46°19′N 9°7′E / 46.317°N 9.117°E / 46.317; 9.117
Country Switzerland
Canton Graubünden
District Moesa
  Total 2.88 km2 (1.11 sq mi)
Elevation 977 m (3,205 ft)
Population (Dec 2013)
  Total 33
  Density 11/km2 (30/sq mi)
Postal code 6545
SFOS number 3811
Surrounded by Arvigo, Braggio, Cauco, Santa Maria in Calanca
Twin towns Wittenbach (Switzerland)
SFSO statistics

Selma is a former municipality in the district of Moesa in the Swiss canton of Graubünden. On 1 January 2015 the former municipalities of Arvigo, Braggio, Cauco and Selma merged to form the new municipality of Calanca.[1]

The local language is Italian.

With a population at the end of 2008 of only 36, it was one of the smallest communities in Switzerland. The village had however declared its intention to remain an independent entity.


Before the merger, Selma had a total area of 2.9 km2 (1.1 sq mi).[2] Of this area, 5.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 68.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 3.5% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (22.2%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).[2]

The former municipality is located in the Calanca sub-district of the Moesa district.


Selma had a population (as of 2013) of 33.[2] As of 2008, 8.3% of the population was made up of foreign nationals.[3] Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -4.9%. Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks Italian (65.9%), with the rest (34.1%) speaking German.[2]

As of 2000, the gender distribution of the population was 48.7% male and 51.3% female.[4] The age distribution, as of 2000, in Selma is; 8 children or 18.2% of the population are between 0 to 9 years old. 2 teenagers or 4.5% are 10 to 14, and no one is between 15 and 19. Of the adult population, 2 people or 4.5% of the population are between 20 to 29 years old. 9 people or 20.5% are 30 to 39, 5 people or 11.4% are 40 to 49, and 7 people or 15.9% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 5 people or 11.4% of the population are between 60 to 69 years old, 5 people or 11.4% are 70 to 79, there is 1 person who is 80 to 89.[3]

In the 2007 federal election the CVP received 53.8% of the vote. Most of the rest of the votes went to the SP with 36.3% of the vote.[2]

In Selma about 84% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).[2]

Selma has an unemployment rate of 3.41%. As of 2005, there were 2 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 1 business involved in this sector. people are employed in the secondary sector and there are businesses in this sector. 5 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 2 businesses in this sector.[2]

The historical population is given in the following table:[5]

year population
1683 c. 300
1733 200
1830 93
1850 73
1900 71
1950 60
1970 34
1990 31
2000 44


  1. Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (German) accessed 2 January 2013
  2. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 19 January 2015
  3. 1 2 Graubunden Population Statistics (German) accessed 21 September 2009
  4. Graubunden in Numbers (German) accessed 21 September 2009
  5. Selma in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Selma.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 2/10/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.