Scribe equipment (hieroglyph)
| Scribe |
The ancient Egyptian Scribe equipment hieroglyph, Gardiner sign listed no. Y3, (or reversed, Y4), portrays the equipment of the scribe. Numerous scribes used the hieroglyph in stating their name, either on papyrus documents, but especially on statuary or tomb reliefs.
The hieroglyph depicts the 3 major components of a scribe's equipment:
- tube case – for holding writing-reeds
- leather bag – for holding colored inks (the canonical colors, black and red, mixed with water and gum)
- wood scribal palette – with mixing pools; (not always made from wood)
Often the transliteration "sesh" appears, derived from the mistaken reading sš propagated in the dictionary and books of E. A. W. Budge. This reading is found as a phonetic complement using the signs for z and š, leading to the misunderstanding. However, Old Kingdom Egyptian lacked a distinct sign for the ẖ sound and the Coptic descendant shows that the original second consonant was indeed the palatalized fricative ẖ not the (alveolo-)palatal sibilant š, (š being the pool-lake-basin (hieroglyph) in the Egyptian language).
- Meryre, a Scribe, and his wife
(hieroglyph on his pants, w/ his name)
- Block statue of a scribe
(with his name)
- Seated scribe with part of scribe equipment on shoulders
(2-basin mixing palette over left shoulder)
Equipment, as an artifact
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scribe equipment (hieroglyph).|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ancient Eqyptian statues of scribes.|
- Betrò, 1995. Hieroglyphics: The Writings of Ancient Egypt, Scribe's Palette, p. 238.
- Loprieno (1995) p. 58
- Allen (2013) p. 53
- Bohairic-English Dictionary http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/coptic/coptdict.pdf
- Egyptologist James Allen on AEgyptian-L http://www.rostau.org.uk/aegyptian-l/archives/week608.txt
- Budge, p. 619.
- Budge, pp. 1067-1255.
- Betrò, 1995. Hieroglyphics: The Writings of Ancient Egypt, Betrò, Maria Carmela, c. 1995, 1996-(English), Abbeville Press Publishers, New York, London, Paris (hardcover, ISBN 0-7892-0232-8)
- Budge. An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, E.A.Wallace Budge, (Dover Publications), c 1978, (c 1920), Dover edition, 1978. (In two volumes, 1314 pp, and cliv-(154) pp.) (softcover, ISBN 0-486-23615-3)
- Loprieno, Antonio, Ancient Egyptian: A Linguistic Introduction, Cambridge University Press, 1995. ISBN 0-521-44384-9 (hbk) ISBN 0-521-44849-2 (pbk)