Church in Schleiz
|Coordinates: 50°35′0″N 11°49′0″E / 50.58333°N 11.81667°ECoordinates: 50°35′0″N 11°49′0″E / 50.58333°N 11.81667°E|
|• Mayor||Juergen K. Klimpke (SPD)|
|• Total||83.03 km2 (32.06 sq mi)|
|• Density||100/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Schleiz is in the Thuringian Vogtland area, an area of wooded hills on the borders of Thuringia, Saxony, Bavaria and the Czech Republic. The city is located in a valley with the river Wisenta near the motorway A 9 (Berlin – München).
Schleiz includes the following subdivisions:
Schleiz can be traced back to a settlement established about 1200 ("Altstadt") and a separate "Neustadt" that was established next to it. The "Neustadt" had a castle and a city wall. Until 2 December 1482 they were totally separate communities after which they combined to one city. There was a settlement of the Teutonic Order here, and for some years previous to 1848 the town was the capital of the small principality of Reuss-Schleiz. In the vicinity a battle was fought, between the French and the Prussians on 9 October 1806.
The palace was destroyed April 1945.
Trend of population figures:
1834 — 1995
1996 — 2002
2003 — 2009
It is also the site of the Schleizer Dreieck race track.
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden, Gemeinschaftsfreie Gemeinde, erfüllende/beauftragende Gemeinden, Verwaltungsgemeinschaft/Mitgliedsgemeinden in Thüringen". Thüringer Landesamt für Statistik (in German). July 2016.
- Chisholm 1911, p. 334.
- from 1960 on always as of 31 December
- Source from 1994 onwards: Thüringer Landesamt für Statistik
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Schleiz". Encyclopædia Britannica. 24 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 334.
- http://www.schleiz.de Official web site for Stadt Schleiz. (German)