He has frequently collaborated with fellow-Australian Sia Furler. His compositions have featured on her albums, Colour the Small One, Some People Have Real Problems, We Are Born and 1000 Forms of Fear. Dixon co-wrote the single "Clap Your Hands", from We Are Born, which was nominated for Best Single at the 2010 ARIA Music Awards and Song of the Year at the 2011 APRA Music Awards. He has played bass in Sia's live and studio band.
Dixon and Furler co-wrote four songs with Christina Aguilera for her 2010 album Bionic, including the second single, "You Lost Me", with Dixon producing the songs. Dixon produced and co-wrote "Bound to You" which Aguilera performed in the 2010 movie, Burlesque. "Bound to You" was nominated for the 2010 Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song.
Dixon co-wrote with Adele and produced the track "Love In The Dark" from her album 25. He played bass in Adele's live band throughout the promotion and touring for 21, appearing on Adele's Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD/CD, including on the song Set Fire To The Rain which was awarded Best Solo Pop Performance at the Grammy Awards.
Other production and writing credits include KT Tunstall, Paloma Faith, Jack Savoretti, Carly Rae Jepsen (co-production as "The High Street"), I Blame Coco, Will Young, the Presets (notably on their 2005 song, "Girl and the Sea") and Leona Naess. Dixon co-wrote and produced There There by Megan Washington.
Dixon's primary instrument is the bass guitar. His playing can also be heard on recordings such as "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae, "Warwick Avenue" by Duffy, Tom Jones' "Spirit in the Room", Ryan Adams' "Ashes & Fire" and "Ludlow Street" by Suzanne Vega. Dixon played bass for Directions in Groove in the 1990s.
- Craig Mathieson (2010-07-07). "Sia, We are Born | Album Review". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- Lucy Carter (2010-11-06). "Musicians, fans rev up for ARIAs - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "The man behind the songs - The West Australian". Au.news.yahoo.com. 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110611033928/http://www.apra-amcos.com.au/APRAAwards/MusicAwards/Nominations/SongoftheYear2011.aspx. Archived from the original on 11 June 2011. Retrieved 27 May 2011. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100627135359/http://www.siamusic.net/live. Archived from the original on 27 June 2010. Retrieved 26 June 2010. Missing or empty
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine (2010-06-08). "Bionic - Christina Aguilera | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- AllMusic: Bound to You. AllMusic.com. Retrieved on 2010-11-25.
- "Black Swan dives for golden glory". Adelaidenow.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- Betts, Stephen (2011-04-13). "Choice Excerpts From Adele's Cover Story Pictures". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120326001041/http://www.canculture.com/2011/05/19/q-a-sam-dixon-touring-bassist-for-adele-2/. Archived from the original on 26 March 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2011. Missing or empty
- "Girl and the Sea - The Presets | Song Info". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Samuel Dixon | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- Bernard Zuel. "Washington's London high". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae (CD, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Duffy - Rockferry (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. 2008-05-16. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Suzanne Vega - Beauty & Crime (CD, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- McFarlane, Ian (1999). "Encyclopedia entry for 'd.i.g. (directions in groove)'". Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop. St Leonards, NSW: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 1-86508-072-1. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100626045622/http://www.yenmag.net/backissues/36/. Archived from the original on 26 June 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2010. Missing or empty
- "Music | BMG Music Rights Management". Bmg.com. 2013-09-15. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- Official website
- Sia and Sam Dixon discuss "Clap Your Hands" on YouTube
- BMG Songwriter: Samuel Dixon