|Founder||Sara Miller McCune and George D. McCune|
|Country of origin||United States. Principal offices are located in Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore, Washington DC and Melbourne|
|Headquarters location||Thousand Oaks, California|
|Key people||Sara Miller McCune, Blaise Simqu, Stephen Barr, Vivek Mehra, Paul Evans|
|Publication types||Academic books, journals, reference and library products|
|Nonfiction topics||Social science, Science, Medicine, Humanities, Technology|
|Imprints||Corwin, CQ Press, Learning Matters and Adam Matthew|
SAGE Publishing is an independent publishing company founded in 1965 in New York by Sara Miller McCune. SAGE has more than 1,500 employees from principal offices in Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore, and Washington DC. SAGE's publishing program includes more than 1,000 journals and 800 books a year, reference works and electronic products covering business, humanities, social sciences, science, technology and medicine.
Sara Miller McCune is executive chairman of SAGE Publications, which she founded in 1965 in New York City to support the dissemination of usable knowledge and educate a global community. The company moved to Southern California in 1966. McCune remained president for 18 years and became chairman in 1984, developing the company with her husband George D. McCune. The name of the company was derived from their respective given names (SAra and GEorge).
SAGE Publishing was a founding member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) when it was established in 2008.
However in November 2013, OASPA reviewed SAGE's membership after the Journal of International Medical Research published a false and intentionally flawed paper created and submitted by a reporter for Science as part of a "sting" to test the effectiveness of the peer-review processes of open access journals (see Who's Afraid of Peer Review?). SAGE's membership was reinstated at the end of the six month review period following changes to the journal's editorial processes.
- Journals published by SAGE
- Cambridge University Press v. Patton, a copyright infringement case in which SAGE Publications is a plaintiff
- "Welcome to SAGE". SAGE. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "SAGE Imprints". SAGE Imprints Page. SAGE Publications. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Sage Publications USA acquires CQ Press from Times Publishing Co — May 30, 2008 - M&A Deal Snapshot". AlacraStore.com. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Sage acquires Learning Matters". The Bookseller. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Verma, Henrietta (October 11, 2012). "SAGE Acquires Adam Matthew". Reviews. Library Journal.
- Shine, Bridget (March 2012). "The IPG Independent Publishing Awards 2012". Independent Publishers Guild. Archived from the original on 14 April 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
IPG Academic & Professional Publisher of the Year - SAGE
- "The SAGE Story" (PDF). SAGE Publishing. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Brynko, Barbara (June 2011). "Simqu: Leading the Change at SAGE Publications". Information Today. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Malakoff, David (11 November 2013). "Open-Access Group Sanctions Three Publishers After Science 'Sting'". Science Insider. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Shaffi, Sarah (29 April 2014). "OASPA reinstates Sage membership". The Bookseller. Retrieved 29 April 2014.