Sacred Heart Pioneers
|Sacred Heart Pioneers|
|University||Sacred Heart University|
Northeast Conference (most sports)|
Atlantic Hockey (men's ice hockey)
Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (men's volleyball)
|Athletic director||Bobby Valentine|
|Football stadium||Campus Field|
|Basketball arena||William H. Pitt Center|
|Baseball stadium||Pioneer Park, The Ballpark at Harbor Yard|
|Other arenas||Milford Ice Pavilion, Webster Bank Arena|
Red, White, and Gray|
The Sacred Heart Pioneers are the 32 sports teams (14 men, 18 women) representing Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut in intercollegiate athletics, including men and women's basketball, cross country, fencing, golf, hockey, lacrosse, soccer, tennis, track & field, and volleyball; women's-only bowling, field hockey, rowing, and swimming; and men's-only baseball, football, and wrestling. The Pioneers compete in the NCAA Division I and are members of the Northeast Conference.
A member of the Northeast Conference, Sacred Heart sponsors teams in thirteen men's, sixteen women's, and one coed NCAA sanctioned sports, with women's rugby to be added in 2015–16:
- ¶ -= The equestrian team competes as an independent, and participates in the IHSA as well as the NCEA/NCAA.
- ↓ = Fencing in the NCAA is a coed sport with men's and women's squads. Sacred Heart competes as an independent.
- • = Men's ice hockey competes as a member of Atlantic Hockey.
- ° = Women's ice hockey competes as an independent.
- ‡ = The rowing team competes as an associate member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
- * = Rugby is an NCAA "emerging sport" which is fully sanctioned, but does not yet have a national championship.
- # = Men's volleyball competes as a member of the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association.
- † + The wrestling team competes as a member of the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association.
Nearly 800 students participate in the university's 31 athletic teams (17 female teams and 14 male teams) along with more than 500 students who participate in 23 Club Sports.
In March 2009, the Women's Basketball team won the NEC Title and earned their second trip to the NCAA Tournament in the last four years. The team faced the Ohio State Buckeyes in the first round of the tournament on March 21, 2009, and lost, 77–63. The Sacred Heart Pioneers women's ice hockey program competes as an independent in NCAA Division I women's ice hockey.
The men's golf team won the NEC Title in May 2008, 2009 and 2011.
The SHU Baseball Team has appeared in the NEC Championship game the past 4 seasons (2009–2012) and won the past 2 Northeast Conference Titles. These wins have earned SHU back to back NCAA tournament bids.
The SHU Men's Fencing Team won the Northeast Fencing Conference Championship title five years in a row (2010–2014) and was ranked #9 in 2011.
Currently there are twenty-four club sports active on campus. The active clubs are:
- Men's Basketball
- Women's Basketball
- Dance Team
- Field Hockey
- Figure Skating
- Men's Football
- Men's Ice Hockey
- Men's Lacrosse
- Women's Lacrosse
- Men's Rugby
- Women's Rugby
- Men's Soccer
- Women's Soccer
- Men's Swimming
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Men's Volleyball
- Women's Volleyball