He was elected to the Federal Council of Switzerland on 8 December 1965 and handed over office on 31 December 1979. He was affiliated to the Party of Farmers, Traders and Independents (BGB/PAI), which became the Swiss People's Party in 1972.
During his office time he held the following departments:
- Federal Department of Transport, Communications and Energy (1966–1967)
- Federal Military Department (1968)
- Federal Department of Transport, Communications and Energy (1968)
- Federal Military Department (1969–1979)
He was President of the Swiss Confederation twice in 1971 and 1976.
His name is popularly remembered as the nickname of a Swiss Armed Forces ordonnance item, an olive-green jumper officially named Trikothemd 75, but commonly known as Gnägi.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rudolf Gnägi.|
- Rudolf Gnägi in the Dodis database of the Diplomatic Documents of Switzerland
- Rudolf Gnägi in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Profile of Rudolf Gnägi with election results on the website of the Swiss Federal Council.
Friedrich Traugott Wahlen
|Member of the Swiss Federal Council
| Succeeded by|