The rubiscolins are a group of opioid peptides that are formed during digestion of the ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (Rubisco) protein from spinach leaves. Rubiscolins mimic the effects of opiates and, therefore, influence the brain. These peptides have much in common with the better-known gluten exorphins.
There are 2 known rubiscolins with known structure:
- Structure: H-Gly-Tyr-Tyr-Pro-Thr-OH
- Chemical formula: C39H54N6O10
- Molecular weight: 766.87 g/mol
- rubiscolin-5 at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
- rubiscolin-6 at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)