|Born||22 June 1952|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
|Awards||Wolfson Economics Prize|
Bootle read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Merton College, Oxford before completing his graduate studies at Nuffield College. Bootle began his career in the academic world as a lecturer in Economics at St Anne’s College, Oxford.
He worked as an economist for Capel-Cure Myers and Lloyds Merchant Bank. From 1989 until 1998, he was an economist at Midland Bank/HSBC, rising to the position of Group Chief Economist of the HSBC group. During the John Major government in the 1990s, he was appointed to the UK treasury’s panel of economic forecasters under Kenneth Clarke.
- Theory of Money, joint author with W. T. Newlyn, 1978, ISBN 0-19-877099-5
- Index-Linked Gilts - a practical investment guide, 1985, ISBN 0-85941-289-X
- The Death of Inflation, 1998, ISBN 1-85788-145-1
- Money for Nothing – Real Wealth, Financial Fantasies and the Economy of the Future, 2003, ISBN 1-85788-282-2
- The Trouble with Markets - saving capitalism from itself, Second edition, 2011, ISBN 978-1-85788-558-3
- The Trouble with Europe: Why the EU Isn't Working, How It Can Be Reformed, What Could Take Its Place, 2014, ISBN 978-1-85788-615-3
- "Roger Bootle". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Michaelmas Term 1974. Complete Alphabetical List of the Resident Members of the University of Oxford. Oxford University Press. 1974. p. 11.
- Amazon.com: Death of Inflation: Surviving and Thriving in the Zero Era: Roger Bootle: Books
- Amazon.com: Money for Nothing: Real Wealth, Financial Fantasies and the Economy of the Future: Roger Bootle: Books