Robert H. Burris
|Robert H. Burris|
April 13, 1914|
Brookings, South Dakota
|Died||May 11, 2010 96)(aged|
|Alma mater||South Dakota State University|
|Known for||Nitrogen fixation research|
National Medal of Science (1979)|
John J. Carty Award (1984)
Wolf Prize in Agriculture (1985)
Robert H. Burris (April 13, 1914 – May 11, 2010) was a professor in the Biochemistry Department at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1961. Research in Burris's lab focused on enzyme reaction mechanisms, and he made significant contributions to our knowledge of nitrogen fixation.
He did postdoctoral research with Harold Urey at Columbia University, and later moved back to Madison, eventually becoming a professor in the Biochemistry Department. He was chairman of the Department from 1958 to 1970. He retired from active research in 1984, having trained more than 70 doctoral research students.
Awards and distinctions
- 1961 – Elected to the National Academy of Sciences
- 1975 – Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1979 – National Medal of Science
- 1984 – John J. Carty Award of the National Academy of Sciences in agricultural science
- 1985 – Wolf Award in agriculture
- 1989 – Kenneth A. Spencer Award for Meritorious Achievement in Agricultural and Food Chemistry
- "Robert H Burris Faculty Page". Department of Biochemistry. 21 February 2008. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- Chet, Ilan (December 24, 2009). Wolf Prize in Agriculture. World Scientific Publishing Company. pp. 245–250. ISBN 978-981-283-584-0. Retrieved 19 January 2010.
- Evans, Harold; Robert H. Burris (April 30, 1992). Gary Stacey, ed. Biological Nitrogen Fixation. Springer. ISBN 978-0-412-02421-4.
- Memorial Resolution of the Faculty of the University of Wisconsin-Madison on the death of Professor Emeritus Robert H. Burris
- Mitchell, Bob (May 12, 2010). "Noted UW-Madison biochemist Robert Burris dies at 96". University of Wisconsin-Madison News. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- Derby, Samara Kalk (May 12, 2010). "World-renowned UW-Madison biochemist Robert H. Burris dies at 96". madison.com. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "National Medal of Science Recipients 1962-200x". 9 December 2008. Retrieved 19 January 2010.
- "1979 National Medal of Science". Washington, DC: National Science and Technology Medals Foundation. 2009. Retrieved 19 January 2010.
- "John J. Carty Award for the Advancement of Science". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- "Past Winners of the Spencer Award". University of Missouri–Kansas City. Archived from the original on June 18, 2009. Retrieved 19 January 2010.