|Village of Riverdale|
|Motto: "A Village with a Vision"|
Location in Cook County and the state of Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|Coordinates: 41°38′26″N 87°37′50″W / 41.64056°N 87.63056°WCoordinates: 41°38′26″N 87°37′50″W / 41.64056°N 87.63056°W|
|• Mayor||Lawrence Jackson|
|• Total||3.75 sq mi (9.7 km2)|
|• Land||3.57 sq mi (9.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.18 sq mi (0.5 km2) 4.80%|
|• Density||3,795.2/sq mi (1,465.3/km2)|
|Down 10.00% from 2000|
|Standard of living (2007-11)|
|• Per capita income||$16,463|
|• Median home value||$101,300|
Riverdale is located at 41°38′26″N 87°37′50″W / 41.64056°N 87.63056°W (41.640684, -87.630645).
According to the 2010 census, Riverdale has a total area of 3.745 square miles (9.70 km2), of which 3.57 square miles (9.25 km2) (or 95.33%) is land and 0.175 square miles (0.45 km2) (or 4.67%) is water.
As of the 2010 census, there were 13,549 people, 4,595 households, and 3,204 families residing in the village. The racial makeup of the village was 4.9% White, 94.9% African American, 0.5% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.7% from other races, and 0.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.7% of the population.
There were 4,595 households out of which 36.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 24.8% were married couples living together, 37.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 30.3% were non-families. 25.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.92 and the average family size was 3.50.
In the village the population was spread out with 41.8% at the age 16 and over, 39.6% at the age 18 and over, 36.6% at the age 21 and over, 5.7% at the age of 62 and older, and 4.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32.8 years. The female population was 7,521 and the male population was 6,028.
The median income for a household in the village was $37,792.
Riverdale is divided between two congressional districts. Most of the city is in Illinois' 2nd congressional district; the area west of Ashland Avenue and the area southwest of 141st and Halsted Streets are in the 1st district. The local government of Riverdale consists of six elected trustees, one elected village clerk, and one elected mayor. On April 9, 2013 incumbent mayor Deyon Dean was defeated by Trustee and mayor Lawrence Jackson was sworn in on May 2, 2013
In the history of the Riverdale Police Department, one officer has been killed while on duty.
- Marcheline Bertrand, actress; mother of actress Angelina Jolie; grew up in Riverdale
- Antwaan Randle El, wide receiver for the Washington Redskins, and Pittsburgh Steelers; Super Bowl champion (XL); born in Riverdale
- Charles Christian Hammer, classical guitarist
- Marjorie Pebworth, Illinois politician; lived in Riverdale.
- Betty Robinson, Olympic gold medalist in the 100 and 400 meter relays (1928 & 1936); born in Riverdale
- Steamboat Struss, pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates; born in Riverdale
- "Riverdale, Illinois Population: Census 2010 and 2000 Interactive Map, Demographics, Statistics, Quick Facts". CensusViewer. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- 'Illinois Blue Book 1967-1968,' Biographical Sketch of Marjorie Pebworth, pg. 203
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Riverdale, Illinois.|