5 September 1924|
17 September 1999 75) (aged|
Riccardo Cucciolla (5 September 1924 – 17 September 1999) was an Italian film actor. He appeared in 60 films between 1953 and 1999. He won the Best Actor Award at the 1971 Cannes Film Festival for the film Sacco e Vanzetti.
Life and career
Born in Bari, in southern Italy, Cucciolla gained a degree in law, then made his stage debut in an amateur production in his home city. From 1946 he started working in radio as a voice actor and as the narrator of documentaries; at the same time he started working in cinema, as a dubber and a voice actor.
Cucciolla made his film debut in 1953, in Anton Giulio Majano's La domenica della buona gente. After some minor roles, he had his first important role in Italiani brava gente (1965), followed by a further significant role in Giuliano Montaldo's Grand Slam (1967).
Cucciolla came to national and international recognition with the leading role in Montaldo's Sacco e Vanzetti, for which he was awarded best actor at Cannes and won a Silver Ribbon, and in the wake of that sudden popularity he intensively worked throughout the decade, alternating notable films with others of more modest quality and ambition. Starting from eighties he thinned out his appearances, mainly focusing on dubbing and television roles. At the age of 75 Ricardo Cucciolla died in Rome, Lazio, Italy. He is survived by his wife, the poet Alida Sessa, their son Riccardo and two children by his first wife.
- Il seduttore (1954)
- Rascel-Fifì (1957)
- La bugiarda (1965)
- Attack and Retreat (1965)
- Grand Slam (1967)
- The Seven Cervi Brothers (1968)
- Una sull'altra (1969)
- Bandits in Rome (1969)
- Sacco e Vanzetti (1970)
- The Case Is Closed, Forget It (1971)
- We Are All in Temporary Liberty (1971)
- Un flic (1972)
- The Sicilian Checkmate (1972)
- Un apprezzato professionista di sicuro avvenire (1972)
- The Assassination of Matteotti (1973)
- No, The Case Is Happily Resolved (1973)
- Borsalino & Co. (1974)
- Rabid Dogs (1974)
- The Sensual Man (1974)
- The Last Day of School Before Christmas (1975)
- C.I.A. Secret Story (1975)
- Il pleut sur Santiago (1975)
- Meet Him and Die (1976)
- Take All of Me (1976)
- Turi and the Paladins (1977)
- Antonio Gramsci: The Days of Prison (1977)
- The Assisi Underground (1985)
- Il coraggio di parlare (1987)
- 32 dicembre (1989)
- La voce del cuore (TV, 1995)
- Felice Cappa; Piero Gelli; Marco Mattarozzi. Dizionario dello spettacolo del '900. Dalai editore, 1998. ISBN 8880892959.
- Roberto Chiti; Roberto Poppi. Dizionario del cinema italiano. Gli attori. Gremese Editore, 2003. ISBN 8884402131.
- Adler, Renata; Thompson, Howard (21 February 1968). "Movie Review". The New York Times.
- Vito Attolini, Alfonso Marrese. Riccardo Cucciolla. Ritratto di attore. Edizioni Dal Sud, 1990. ISBN 8875531528.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Riccardo Cucciolla.|