Louis in 2016 Browns' mini camp
|No. 80 Cleveland Browns|
|Date of birth:||March 23, 1994|
|Place of birth:||Miami, Florida|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Miami Beach (FL)|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 4 / Pick: 116|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 6, 2016|
High school and college career
Ricardo Louis played football at Miami Beach Senior High School, where he played at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, tight end, linebacker, and safety. Excellent at all positions, his best performances came at a running back and receiver. In his senior year, he had 14 offensive touchdowns and 60 defensive tackles. ESPN ranked him the 21st best high school player in the nation in 2012.
Louis wavered in the college draft. He initially committed to Auburn University, then broke the commitment and committed to Florida State University. He broke that commitment as well, and finally agreed to play for Auburn.
Louis "was not nearly as productive" in college as in high school. Although he often started games, he was never a full-time starter. His most memorable play was a 78-yard (71 m) touchdown reception against the Georgia Bulldogs in 2013, known as the "Prayer at Jordan-Hare". The catch enabled the Tigers to win their division, enter the post-season, and make it into a national championship game. He led the Tigers in receptions (46 for 716 yards (655 m)) and touchdowns (three) as a senior. Louis ended his career at Auburn in 2015 with 98 receptions out of 117 touches for 1,338 yards (1,223 m) and eight touchdowns. Louis' collegiate career was also plagued by dropped passes, and he had six fumbles.
He was nominated his senior year for an ESPY Award.
Louis attended the NFL Scouting Combine in February 2016. His performance there—an 11-foot (3.4 m) broad jump (best among all attending wide receivers), a 40-yard dash of 4.43 seconds, and a vertical jump of 38 inches (0.97 m)—won him widespread attention, and significantly boosted his chances in the coming draft.
The Cleveland Browns drafted Louis in the fourth round, 114th overall, in the 2016 NFL draft. On May 31, he signed a four-year contract worth about $2.9 million, which included a signing bonus worth about $568,000.
- Wilcox, J.T. (February 2, 2012). "Ricardo Louis finds the perfect fit". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- Reed, Tom (April 30, 2016). "Cleveland Browns select Auburn WR Ricardo Louis with 114th overall pick in NFL Draft 2016". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- Inabinett, Mark (May 21, 2016). "Ricardo Louis has something special in mind for his first NFL paycheck". AL.com. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- Inabinett, Mark (May 15, 2016). "Ricardo Louis sees Auburn's 2013 hunger in his new NFL teammates". AL.com. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- Ulrich, Nat (June 1, 2016). "Browns sign fourth-round draft picks Ricardo Louis, Seth DeValve". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- Cabot, Mary Kay (August 14, 2016). "Josh Gordon 'very close' to practicing; Ricardo Louis joins growing list of banged-up receivers". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved August 28, 2016.